Overall Rating Silver - expired
Overall Score 46.92
Liaison Mike Harrington
Submission Date Aug. 17, 2011
Executive Letter Download

STARS v1.0

The New School
OP-21: Hazardous Waste Management

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 1.00 / 1.00 Gwen Kilvert
Assistant Director for Sustainability & Energy Management
Facilities Management
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Does the institution have strategies in place to safely dispose of all hazardous, universal, and non-regulated chemical waste and seek to minimize the presence of these materials on campus?:

A brief description of steps taken to reduce hazardous, universal, and non-regulated chemical waste:

The New School's Waste Management Plan is a comprehensive protocol for managing all waste generated on campus. Facilities Management manages this plan. Posters and signage are utilized in areas that generate hazardous waste to promote awareness and compliance. This includes posters above sinks as reminders of prohibited sewer discharges as well as posters outlining usage of appropriately labeled, designated waste containers for universal waste streams in areas where chemical wastes are generated. Hazardous waste characterization, training, and compliance oversight is provided by the Environmental Health & Safety Office, Facilities Management.

Waste minimization is encouraged through practices such as solvent recycling in the Fine Arts program, surplus donations to the Parsons Green Supply Center, avoidance of bulk chemical purchases, and selection of greener alternatives where feasible. Hazardous waste generation is reduced by selection of less hazardous alternatives to chemical products and implementation of product selection guides in targeted areas such as Parsons shops.

The following is a list of hazardous waste, universal and non-regulated chemical waste included in this plan:

Hazardous waste
Regulation: Hazardous chemicals must never be disposed of in sinks, drains, or trash cans. Hazardous wastes shall be managed in accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). Determine if the waste is hazardous by reading the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and/or the product’s label. Hazardous wastes possess one of more characteristics including toxicity, flammability, reactivity, or corrosivity. Waste is also considered hazardous if it is listed under RCRA. Consult with Environmental Health & Safety, Facilities Management to confirm which chemicals must be managed as hazardous waste. Examples of hazardous waste are acids, bases, paint thinners, aerosol cans, etc.Unlabeled, expired, or chemicals that will no longer be used should be disposed of promptly.
Sources: Hazardous waste is generated by various sources at TNS including the Parsons Shops, Lang science laboratory, and maintenance-related activities.

Universal waste
Regulations: EPA and NYSDEC require management practices for certain waste streams with hazardous components including:
-mercury-containing lamps (fluorescent & High-Intensity Discharge),
-mercury-containing thermostats,
-electrical ballasts,
Sources: Universal waste is typically generated through regular operation and maintenance of buildings. A smaller volume is generated in dormitories and classrooms/studios.

Used cooking oil
Regulation: Used cooking oil is not regulated. However, to protect the environment, it should not be sewered or disposed as regular trash.
Sources: Used cooking oil is generated by the 3 cafeterias on campus.

Used oil
Regulations: Environmental regulations such as the Clean Water Act, prohibit sewering of used oil.
Sources: Machinery such as snowblowers, compressors, etc.

Regulated medical waste (RMW)
Regulations: NYSDEC requires special disposal of regulated medical waste such as sharps (i.e., needles & syringes), human blood and blood products, human, pathological waste, infectious animal waste, and cultures and stocks (microbiological materials).
Sources: Healthcare activities primarily through Student Health Services. RMW may also be generated in the dormitories.

A brief description of how the institution safely disposes of hazardous, universal, and non-regulated chemical waste:

Hazardous Waste

Collection: Collect hazardous waste in non-leaking, sealed containers based on their chemical compatibility. Chemicals can remain in their original containers. Store the waste in a secure location or contact the building’s Super for assistance with storage.

Labeling: Label containers “Hazardous Waste” with the contents listed. Segregate hazardous wastes based on compatibility and store the waste containers in a secure location or contact the building’s Super to arrange for storage.

Disposal: Contact Environmental Health & Safety, Facilities Management for hazardous waste disposal. EHS will arrange for a pickup by Veolia Environmental Services, TNS’s hazardous waste contractor and a EPA-authorized contractor.

Universal Waste

Collection: Facilities Management’s maintenance staff segregates and collects the universal wastes into designated containers at each building’s accumulation area. TNS has an expanded battery recycling program with collection tubes located throughout the campus. Non-regulated alkaline batteries are included in the recycling program.

Labeling: Each universal waste container must labeled “Universal Waste: (type of universal waste) with the start date of container use.

Disposal: Pickups of universal waste are arranged through Environmental Health & Safety, Facilities Management. Veolia Environmental Services is the waste contractor used by TNS.

For more information about Veolia's recycling and disposal practices, http://veoliaes-ts.com/hazardous-industrial-waste-recycling

Used Cooking Oil

Collection: Bring the oil to the building’s designated collection area and pour the contents into the 30-gallon drum. Contact the building’s Super or Facilities Management (X5456) with any questions.

Labeling: all containers of used cooking oil must be labeled “Used Cooking Oil”.

Disposal: RWA is the used cooking oil recycler used by The New School (TNS).

Used Oil

Collection: Collect the oil in a non-leaking container.

Labeling: Label collection containers “Used Oil”. Indicate what solvents or other chemicals, if any, have been mixed with the used oil.

Disposal: Contact the building’s Super or Environmental Health & Safety, Facilities Management to arrange for pickup by the authorized waste contractor, Veolia Environmental Services.

Regulated medical waste (RMW)

Collection: RMW is collected in designated sharps containers or biohazard bags. The containers are located near where the RMW is generated such as exam rooms in Student Health Services. Sharps containers are also available in each dormitory through the building’s Super.

Labeling: RMW containers are labeled with the biohazard symbol.

Disposal: Full containers of RWM are picked up for disposal by Heathcare Waste Solutions.

The website URL where information about hazardous materials management is available:

Data source(s) and notes about the submission:

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to stars@aashe.org.