|Overall Rating||Silver - expired|
|Submission Date||Aug. 17, 2011|
The New School
ER-12: Sustainability Immersive Experience
|2.00 / 2.00||
Chair, Design & Management
School of Design Strategies, Parsons
Does the institution offer a program that meets the criteria for this credit?:
A brief description of the sustainability-focused immersive experience(s) offered by the institution:
In the Tishman Environmental Merit Scholars Program Environmental Studies students along with a select group of students from across the country engage in conservation research, develop environmental education programs, work on grassroots campaigns to advance pro-environment policies, and support programs to foster sustainable development in communities throughout Alaska. Tishman Merit Scholars receive:
- a paid 12-week summer internship in Alaska in Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula
- Tuition scholarship for four credits of independent study
- roundtrip airfare from New York City to Anchorage
Students receive the following experiences:
- Study firsthand the magnificent natural environments and diverse cultures of Alaska.
-Work with leading organizations helping preserve and protect these environments and cultures
- Gain invaluable job experience in environmental protection, community work, and not-for-profit management
- Meet and network with naturalists, conservationists, public service professionals, Alaskans from many walks of life, and other students
- Receive four credits for independent study and report the results of your research project at a public presentation to the New School community
This program is co-sponsored by The New School and the Alaska Conservation Foundation.
The website URL where information about the immersive experience is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.