|Overall Rating||Silver - expired|
|Submission Date||Feb. 28, 2014|
University of North Carolina, Greensboro
PAE-4: Sustainability Plan
|3.00 / 3.00||
Sustainability Education and Outreach Specialist
Does the institution have a sustainability plan that meets the criteria for this credit?:
A brief description of how multiple stakeholder groups were involved in developing the plan:
The Sustainability Activities Matrix was developed in 2010-11 by the Sustainability Council, an advisory board to the Chancellor. The Council was created in 2010 to fulfill a UNCG Strategic Plan mandate (section 2.5). Council members include representatives from across the campus: a Student Government Association representative, a Graduate Student Association representative, the Director of Auxiliary Services (Staff Co-Chair), an Economics Professor (Faculty Co-Chair), the Assistant Director of Residence Life, the Director of the Environmental Studies Program, the Sustainability Coordinator, the Sustainability Education and Outreach Specialist, the Academic Sustainability Coordinator, the FTLC Sustainability Fellow, a member of the local community with expertise in sustainability issues, and other UNCG faculty involved in sustainability research.
A brief description of the plan’s measurable goals :
The Matrix presents 13 broad activities relating to sustainability for the university to pursue between 2010-2014. Specific actions to achieve these activities, along with responsible parties, necessary resources, and interim goals and metrics are also described. The 13 activities are:
1. Recruit and hire an Academic Coordinator for Sustainability.
2. Institute a culture of sustainability through education, outreach, and marketing and inculcate the principles and values of sustainability throughout the curriculum both inside and outside of the classroom.
3. Be recognized nationally as a leader in sustainability.
4. Adopt more sustainable standards for new construction and building renovations.
5. Reduce waste, source more local and sustainably grown products, and enhance promotion of healthy eating practices in Dining Services.
6. Develop a process and procedure that supports the sustainable use of green space in accordance with UNCG’s master plan, with the emphasis placed on the non-building areas of the master plan.
7. By 2015, develop and implement a Campus Energy Plan that reduces energy usage by 30% (per gsf) from the 2003 baseline.
8. Develop and implement institutional investment and purchasing practices that are guided by social justice and environmental stewardship.
9. Develop and implement a strategic plan to achieve climate neutrality by 2050 (Climate Action Plan).
10. Develop health and safety practices that are based upon sustainable/ environmentally friendly principles.
11. Become a leader in diversion of waste from landfills.
12. Develop and implement a plan for sustainable water usage, while maintaining the quality of water.
13. Update the Transportation Master Plan with specific emphasis on alternative transportation options.
A brief description of how progress in meeting the plan’s goals is measured:
The overarching metric for meeting the goals of the plan is the annual assessment achieved via STARS. Individual activities and goals will be evaluated annually by the Council. The Council will also determine its priority actions and present these options to the Chancellor.
The website URL where more information about the sustainability plan is available:
The year the plan was developed or last updated:
The Final Sustainability (Activities Matrix) Chart is available here:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.