|Submission Date||March 28, 2018|
University of California, Irvine
PA-14: Workplace Health and Safety
|0.54 / 2.00||
Assistant Director, EH&S and RS
EH&S and RS
Please enter data in the table below:
|Performance Year||Baseline Year|
|Number of recordable workplace injuries and occupational disease cases||220||208|
|Full-time equivalent of employees||8,050||8,117|
|Number of injuries and cases per FTE employee||0.03||0.03|
Start and end dates of the performance year and baseline year (or three-year periods):
|Start Date||End Date|
|Performance Year||Jan. 1, 2017||Dec. 31, 2017|
|Baseline Year||Jan. 1, 2015||Dec. 31, 2017|
A brief description of when and why the workplace health and safety baseline was adopted (e.g. in sustainability plans and policies or in the context of other reporting obligations):
Percentage reduction in workplace injuries and occupational disease cases per FTE employee from baseline:
Number of workplace injuries and occupational disease cases per 100 FTE employees, performance year:
A brief description of the institution’s workplace health and safety initiatives, including how workers are engaged in monitoring and advising on health and safety programs:
Environmental Health and Safety and Risk Services:
- Provides consultation to all levels of UC Irvine staff and faculty regarding program compliance.
- Develops templates to assist Schools, Departments, and Work Units in implementing effective injury and illness prevention programs.
- Consults on issues of hazard identification and evaluation; procedures for correcting unsafe conditions, systems for communicating with employees, regularly scheduled safety meetings, employee training programs, compliance strategies, and recordkeeping.
- Provides centralized monitoring of campus-wide activities in the areas of environmental compliance, biological safety, chemical hygiene, emergency preparedness, fire safety, hazard communication, hazard identification, hazardous materials management, industrial hygiene, occupational safety, sanitation, and safety education and training.
- Maintains centralized environmental and employee exposure monitoring records, allowing employee access to records as directed by law.
UC Irvine communicates with employees, faculty, and staff in a form readily understandable and accessible to all affected parties on matters pertaining to occupational safety and health, including provisions designed to encourage employees to inform their supervisor or EH&S of hazards at the worksite without fear of reprisal. University employees shall not suffer any type of reprimand, discipline, or punishment as a result of reporting a safety hazard or concern. UC Irvine uses various systems and methods to communicate or relay information on these matters, which include:
-Regularly scheduled safety committee meetings
-Publications including EH&S Programs Manual and EH&S newsletter
-UCI Emergency Procedures
-Participation in research compliance panels , and anonymous and confidential hazard reporting
Hazard Identification and Evaluation:
UC Irvine has procedures for identifying and evaluating work place hazards, including scheduled periodic inspections to identify unsafe conditions and work practices. EH&S and RS conducts periodic inspections of campus buildings through the Lab and Building Safety Surveys Program, and routine radiation safety and biological safety inspections.
Hazard Assessments are used to identify hazards and unsafe conditions in the work unit by using tools developed by EH&S and RS:
- Hazard Identification Checklist
- Work Station Ergonomic Evaluations
- Work Unit Inspection Tools
- Lab Safety Survey Checklist
- Building Survey Checklist
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.