Overall Rating Silver
Overall Score 64.57
Liaison Sherri Mason
Submission Date June 14, 2023

STARS v2.2

Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
OP-16: Commute Modal Split

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 2.38 / 5.00 Valerie Truitt
Administrative Support Assistant
Parking Services
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Total full-time equivalent student enrollment:
3,673

Full-time equivalent of employees:
654

Has the institution gathered data about student commuting behavior?:
Yes

Total percentage of students that use more sustainable commuting options as their primary mode of transportation:
55

A brief description of the method(s) used to gather data about student commuting:

Student data is from AY 2021-2022 student headcounts and on-campus resident data (also reported in Pre-5 Academics and Demographics). Parking Permit and "E" RidePass data from FY 2021-2022 provided by the Parking Office and Student Life.

The methodology for calculating the percentages reported is as follows:
3,673 students
1,646 students with parking permits for commuting (45%). 1,185 live on campus and walking/biking is the most convenient mode of transportation (32%). The remaining off-campus students that do not have permits and therefore cannot park on campus, must either walk/bike from housing close to campus or utilize the "E" Bus\Shuttle Services to get to and around campus (842 students; 23%).

Through a partnership between Penn State Behrend and the Erie Metropolitan Transit Authority—otherwise known as the "e"—all students, faculty, and staff may ride the bus for free. We also offer a shuttle that loops around campus (Route 18) running from 7:40 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. Just show your Penn State ID to the driver and you're on your way! All community routes and the campus loop are included.

We do not have carpool/vanpool data for students so the assumption was made that each parking permit was for only one student and no carpool/vanpool data is reported.


Has the institution gathered data about employee commuting behavior?:
Yes

Total percentage of employees that use more sustainable commuting options as their primary mode of transportation:
6

A brief description of the method(s) used to gather data about employee commuting:

Data is from AY 2021-2022 (also reported in Pre-5 Academics and Demographics). Parking Permit data is from FY 2021-2022 provided by the Parking Office.

The methodology for calculating the percentages reported is as follows:
654 employees with 618 faculty/staff permits issued (94%). The remaining faculty (6%) were assigned carpool/walk/bike/remote category as their primary means of getting to work.


Percentage of students and employees that use the following as their primary mode of transportation:
Percentage of students (0-100) Percentage of employees (0-100)
Single-occupancy vehicle 44 93
Zero-emissions vehicle 1 2
Walk, cycle, or other non-motorized mode 55 ---
Vanpool or carpool 1 1
Public transport or campus shuttle --- ---
Motorcycle, motorized scooter/bike, or moped --- ---
Distance education / telecommute 11 2

Website URL where information about student or employee commuting is available:
---

Additional documentation to support the submission:
---

Parking Permit and "E" RidePass data from FY 2021-2022 provided by the Parking Office and Student Life. Additional data provided by a commuter survey conducted on the Behrend campus in Spring 2021.

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to stars@aashe.org.