|Submission Date||Dec. 20, 2013|
Wilfrid Laurier University
PA-1: Sustainability Coordination
Manager: Sustainability Office
Facilities and Asset Management
Does the institution have at least one sustainability committee, office, and/or officer that focuses on sustainability broadly and covers the entire institution?:
A brief description of the activities and substantive accomplishments of the committee(s), office(s), and/or officer(s) during the previous three years:
The purpose of the Committee is to assist the Sustainability Office in promoting environmentally, socially, and economically responsible practices throughout the University. The Committee will provide campus-specific guidance and assistance to the Sustainability Office on sustainability program development and delivery.
The Committee will provide a forum for students, faculty, and staff to effectively develop ideas and opportunities for the sustainable future of Wilfrid Laurier University while ensuring accountability to those served by the Sustainability Office.
The Sustainable Campus Committee has updated sustainability policies and plans, engaged students, and helped improve the sustainability services on campus, such as through the student vote project that was 3 projects put out for a student vote to be implemented, which were chosen based on a survey.
Does the institution have at least one sustainability committee?:
The charter or mission statement of the committee(s) or a brief description of each committee's purview and activities:
The goal of the committee is to encourage, assist, support, and counsel the Sustainability Office in developing a sustainable Wilfrid Laurier University based on the University commitments outlined in the Sustainable Policy.
The purpose of the Committee is to assist the Sustainability office in promoting environmentally responsible practices throughout the University. The committee provides campus-specific guidance to the Sustainability Office on sustainability program development and delivery. They provide a forum for students, faculty, and staff to effectively develop ideas and opportunities for the sustainable future of Laurier while ensuring accountability to those served by the Sustainability Office.
1. Advise on issues of campus sustainability including setting sustainability goals and priorities;
2. Review and comment on documents developed by the Sustainability Office including policies, plans, and reports;
3. Increase awareness and understanding of on-campus sustainability challenges, opportunities and different campus groups working on sustainability by disseminating information, ideas and proposed directions to representative organizations or departments; and
4. Assist in the adoption of sustainability policies and programs by the university community.
Members of each committee, including affiliations and role (e.g. staff, student, or faculty):
Amber Szober, ITS Staff
Byomkesh Talukder, graduate student member
Laenne Hagarty (co-chair), School of Business and Economics faculty member
Eva Dabrowska, Staff and faculty
James Emary, Physical Resources staff member
Shannon Pennington, Community Service Learning staff member
Arshia Sidhu, undergrad student
Laura Curk, VP: Programming & Services
Miranda Fuller (co-chair), undergrad student
Deborah Wills, Head Reference/Collections Librarian
Miranda Priestman, VP Student Services, WLUSU
Jessica Peters, Ecohawks Coordinator
Stephanie Osborne, Ecohawks Events and Logistics Exec
Sara Wicks, graduate student
The website URL where information about the sustainability committee(s) is available:
Does the institution have at least one sustainability office that includes more than 1 full-time equivalent (FTE) employee?:
A brief description of each sustainability office:
Sustainability is a universal phenomenon of economic, ecological, and social importance and Laurier's Sustainability Office is committed to environmental awareness and action on campus and beyond. Through engagement, projects, and programming, the goal of the office is to create a culture where sustainability is integrated into daily operations. The office coordinates sustainable practices within construction, conservation, energy, food, procurement, transportation, waste, and water through education, facilities management, and partnerships.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) of people employed in the sustainability office(s):
The website URL where information about the sustainability office(s) is available:
Does the institution have at least one sustainability officer?:
Name and title of each sustainability officer:
A brief description of each sustainability officer position:
Laurier's Sustainability Coordinator is responsible for:
- Advancing Laurier’s efforts to become a recognized leader in sustainability.
- Developing, implementing, and communicating a campus-wide sustainability program at Wilfrid Laurier University, and to create a culture of sustainability, which will be reflected in all of its functions and operations, resulting in tangible environmental, economic and social benefits.
- Improving co-ordination between various campus sustainability entities and programs, maximizing the efficiency and effectiveness of these efforts.
- Elevating on and off campus awareness of existing and developing sustainability initiatives.
- Facilitating cost savings and incentive programs in the area of sustainability.
The website URL where information about the sustainability officer(s) is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.