|Submission Date||June 15, 2017|
Western Technical College
PA-4: Diversity and Equity Coordination
|2.00 / 2.00||
Energy Education Specialist
Finance & Operations
Does the institution have a diversity and equity committee, office, and/or officer tasked by the administration or governing body to advise on and implement policies, programs, and trainings related to diversity and equity on campus?:
Does the committee, office and/or officer focus on one or both of the following?:
|Yes or No|
|Student diversity and equity||Yes|
|Employee diversity and equity||Yes|
A brief description of the diversity and equity committee, office and/or officer, including purview and activities:
Western Technical College believes that a diverse environment will provide an enriched learning experience for students, better preparing them for a global society and achieving their educational goals.
Accordingly, Western commits to:
• Maintaining a culture that is conducive to student success for the diverse population it serves.
• Creating and maintaining a teaching and learning culture that provides educational opportunities for diverse individuals and groups.
• Provide learning environments, larger than its classroom settings, in which students can contribute to and learn from the diversity that broad life exposure offers.
Western will take the following steps in the pursuit of a diverse teaching and learning culture:
1. The Board and Senior Leadership Team will commit to undertaking a diversity initiative and create a Diversity Taskforce.
2. The Board will evaluate the College’s mission, vision, and values to ensure they address issues of diversity when providing enriching educational experiences and services.
3. The Diversity Taskforce will develop a comprehensive diversity plan, which will include an assessment of the culture; goals and success measures; action steps; and a communication plan.
The full-time equivalent of people employed in the diversity and equity office:
The website URL where information about the diversity and equity committee, office and/or officer is available:
Does the institution make cultural competence trainings and activities available to all members of the following groups?:
|Yes or No|
A brief description of the cultural competence trainings and activities:
Western Technical College students and Employees receive diversity/cultural competency training on campus. All students who attend Welcome Week are introduced to these topics, and Western’s Diversity Coordinator does classroom and small group (like Resident Assistant) trainings throughout the year. Student also have the option to take courses related to these topics through General Studies.
The website URL where information about the cultural competence trainings is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.