|Submission Date||Feb. 16, 2016|
Western Colorado University
PA-1: Sustainability Coordination
Does the institution have at least one sustainability committee, office, and/or officer that focuses on sustainability broadly and covers the entire institution?:
A brief description of the activities and substantive accomplishments of the committee(s), office(s), and/or officer(s) during the previous three years:
.75 FTE employee hired July 2015
- Met 2020 carbon emissions reduction goals
- 4 more LEED buildings with one more on the way
- significant waste reduction
- winterized free bike rental
- voluntary student renewable energy fund
Does the institution have at least one sustainability committee?:
The charter or mission statement of the committee(s) or a brief description of each committee's purview and activities:
Charge to the Sustainability Action Committee
In 2005, the students, faculty, staff, and administration of Western State College of Colorado developed an Environmental Charter (see attached) which recognized the institution’s responsibility to improve environmental awareness, stewardship of natural resources, and resource efficiency. In 2007, in an action consistent with Western’s mission and with the Environmental Charter, President Jay Helman signed the President’s Climate Commitment (PCC). The PCC commits Western to becoming a “carbon neutral” campus. Also in 2007, the Governor developed state-wide Greening Government goals for implementation by 2012. To assist Western in implementing sustainable initiatives consistent with the College’s mission, Environmental Charter, and President’s Climate Commitment and the Colorado Greening Government goals, a Sustainable Action Committee will be formed.
Charge to the Committee. The charge to this committee is to coordinate, implement, assess, improve, and communicate campus sustainability efforts including those associated with the Environmental Charter and the President’s Climate Commitment.
The committee shall provide assistance to the Student Government Association (SGA) for implementation of their Sustainability Fund and will provide prioritized recommendations for the use of the President’s Sustainability Project Fund, which helps support material and energy savings and emission reduction projects. The committee is also to seek grants and other forms of support where feasible.
Members of each committee, including affiliations and role (e.g. staff, student, or faculty):
Membership of the committee shall include the vice presidents for student affairs, finance and administration, and academic affairs or their respective designees; a representative appointed from the faculty senate; a representative appointed from the chairs and directors; a representative appointed from the athletic director; a student appointed by SGA, a student appointed by the Western Sustainability Coalition, the director of facilities, and any sustainability coordinator(s) as might be appointed by the president
The website URL where information about the sustainability committee(s) is available:
Does the institution have at least one sustainability office that includes more than 1 full-time equivalent (FTE) employee?:
A brief description of each sustainability office:
Full-time equivalent (FTE) of people employed in the sustainability office(s):
The website URL where information about the sustainability office(s) is available:
Does the institution have at least one sustainability officer?:
Name and title of each sustainability officer:
A brief description of each sustainability officer position:
Job Description - Sustainability
This part-time/full-time position exists to perform the actions and duties of a sustainability administrator for Western State Colorado University and the Sustainable Action Committee (SAC). The sustainability administrator will report directly to the SAC, cabinet, and President providing recommendations and facilitating various sustainability initiatives on-campus.
This position will assume a major role in the Sustainable Action Committee and administer the duties of that position in adherence to the President’s Climate Commitment Action Plan. A portion of the job will involve education and outreach as well as coordinating sustainability initiatives with other departments. The position will assist in monitoring Western’s progress towards reaching any sustainability or energy goals. The administrator will also manage the funds associated with the committee and assist the Office of Sponsored Programs in seeking additional funding in the form of grants.
- Provide support and expertise for the weekly operations of the Sustainable Action Committee (SAC)
- Provide sustainability recommendations and guidance through the SAC to the cabinet/President
- Coordinate sustainability projects/programs with other departments to insure there is continuity and effective information sharing between involved parties
- Involvement in campus-wide sustainability outreach and education
- Responsible for monitoring current and long-term goals associated with the Presidents Climate Commitment Action Plan and Colorado’s Greening Government as it relates to Higher Education
- Assist the Office of Sponsored Programs in seeking addition funding for sustainability initiatives
- Manage sustainability funds and monitor projects directly resulting from those funds
- Facilities services, energy management, etc???
Skills and Competencies:
- Working knowledge of sustainability/energy management initiatives and the Presidents Climate Commitment Action Plan
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office software, etc)
- Experience in overseeing projects and monitoring/quantifying results
- Experience with education and outreach
- Experience with budgets and accounting
The website URL where information about the sustainability officer(s) is available: