|Submission Date||April 23, 2015|
Weber State University
PA-4: Diversity and Equity Coordination
Does the institution have a diversity and equity committee, office, and/or officer tasked by the administration or governing body to advise on and implement policies, programs, and trainings related to diversity and equity on campus?:
Does the committee, office and/or officer focus on one or both of the following?:
|Yes or No|
|Student diversity and equity||Yes|
|Employee diversity and equity||Yes|
A brief description of the diversity and equity committee, office and/or officer, including purview and activities:
WSU Diversity Committees
Creation of the diversity committed educational community is a campus-wide responsibility facilitated by the Assistant to the President for Diversity; a post created 1991 in response to institutional recognition that diversity is an important issue requiring explicit attention as part of WSU’s growing opportunities and challenges. Diversity-related steering committees and administrative ad-hoc boards consisting of faculty, staff, and students, provide substantive insights, guidance, and perspective to a developing infrastructure that concerns itself with institutional issues of governance, program development, campus enrichment and student learning.
WSU Diversity Community Council
A Diversity Community Council serves in an advisory capacity to the Office of Assistant to the President for Diversity in order to ensure a necessary and vital link to our community constituents at large.
The Weber State University Diversity Initiative is an institution-wide effort to improve educational quality through creation of an inclusive environment where all are welcome and opportunities are available for students to reach their full potential and contribute to the achievement of the university mission.
The mission of the WSU Diversity Initiative is:
• To promote campus unity by emphasizing shared experiences and principles, respect for human qualities that differentiate all individuals, and achievement of institutional goals.
• To enhance the development of leadership capabilities within the student, faculty and staff populations.
• To facilitate development of curricula which merge varied perspectives.
• To support recruitment of students, faculty and staff reflective of America's broad spectrum of perspectives, cultures, heritages and backgrounds.
• To promote values and ideas of all perspectives, cultures, heritages and backgrounds within the campus community.
• To promote development of support programs for faculty, staff and students who are products of all perspectives, cultures, heritages and backgrounds.
• To encourage networking of interest groups for the benefit of all.
The full-time equivalent of people employed in the diversity and equity office:
The website URL where information about the diversity and equity committee, office and/or officer is available:
Does the institution make cultural competence trainings and activities available to all members of the following groups?:
|Yes or No|
A brief description of the cultural competence trainings and activities:
WSU's Center for Diversity and Unity has hosted several conferences and "Let's Talk" series addressing the cultural competencies for the WSU community.
The International Student Center also sponsors a weekly Coffee Hour open to international and domestic students, faculty, and staff. During the Coffee Hour sessions, international students share their culture with the rest of the student, faculty, and staff who participate in these events.
The website URL where information about the cultural competence trainings is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.