Overall Rating Gold - expired
Overall Score 66.18
Liaison Phil Valko
Submission Date March 2, 2018
Executive Letter Download

STARS v2.1

Washington University in St. Louis
OP-17: Employee Commute Modal Split

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 0.72 / 2.00 Clara Steyer
Sustainability Coordinator
Office of Sustainability
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Total percentage of the institution’s employees that use more sustainable commuting options as their primary method of transportation:

A brief description of the method(s) used to gather data about employee commuting, including the timeframe for when the analysis was conducted and how a representative sample was reached, if applicable:

The percentage indicated above is based upon the number of parking passes delivered throughout Fiscal Year 2017 (July 1-June 30) on the University's main campus. In FY2017, 64% of WashU employees and faculty have received an individual parking permit. This means that the other 36% didn't use their personal vehicle as their primary mode of transportation going to the university, and therefore we can assume that they used a sustainable commuting.

The percentages indicated in the optional fields below are estimations based upon the results of a Mobility Survey, a tool developed in part to assist in formulating and informing the Mobility Framework Study.The survey offers insight into the existing movement patterns of the WashU community and provides a baseline for the future development of new and improved mobility infrastructure to make a more inclusive, safe, accessible, and robust campus.
The survey was distributed on-line over a 4-week period, between October 7th and November 7th, 2015. In order to represent the total community of WashU, this survey was distributed not only to students but also to faculty and staff. The representative populations were limited to those that are primarily based at the Danforth, West, North, and South campuses. In total, 1,181 people participated in the on-line survey.

The percentage of the institution's employees that use each of the following modes as their primary means of transportation to and from campus::
Percentage (0-100)
Commute with only the driver in the vehicle (excluding motorcycles and scooters) 64
Walk, bicycle, or use other non-motorized means 15
Vanpool or carpool 3
Take a campus shuttle or public transportation 17
Use a motorcycle, scooter or moped 1
Telecommute for 50 percent or more of their regular work hours 0

The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:

The total percentage of the institution’s employees that use more sustainable commuting options as their primary method of transportation is based upon the percentage of the institution’s employees that didn't request/receive an individual parking permit during FY2017.

The percentages of the institution's employees attributed to each of the sustainable transportation modes are based primarily on a survey distributed to over 1,100 people from the WashU community at the end of 2015.

Additional data is available regarding: the number/percentage of occasional parking permits distributed, the number/percentage of public transit passes distributed, the number/percentage of car-share members, the number/percentage of carpool permits distributed, etc. While we have this data, we have no system in place as of yet to determine how many of these transit passes/ alternative permits are relied upon as a primary means of transport.

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to stars@aashe.org.