|Submission Date||Feb. 18, 2021|
PA-6: Assessing Diversity and Equity
|1.00 / 1.00||
Director, Diversity Education and Initiatives
Inclusion and Diversity
Has the institution engaged in a structured assessment process during the previous three years to improve diversity, equity and inclusion on campus?:
A brief description of the assessment process and the framework, scorecard(s) and/or tool(s) used:
University Strategic Plan (https://strategicaffairs.vt.edu/StrategicPlanning/the-vt-difference-advancing-beyond-boundaries.html)– Approved by the Board of Visitors June 2019, The Virginia Tech Difference: Advancing Beyond Boundaries marks the first university-wide strategic plan to integrate inclusion and diversity as a key university priority. Previously, diversity strategic plans were separate from university-wide strategic plans
• 2018 Climate Survey (Employees)
• 2018 Gallup Poll (Students)
• COACHE Survey - Completed in 2020, awaiting results
• LGBTQ+ Survey - https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2019/04/unirel-lgtbq-climate-survey.html
• Graduate Climate Survey 2018
• VT Freshman and Senior Survey – Completed Annually
Does the assessment process address campus climate by engaging stakeholders to assess the attitudes, perceptions and behaviors of employees and students, including the experiences of underrepresented groups?:
Does the assessment process address student outcomes related to diversity, equity and success?:
Does the assessment process address employee outcomes related to diversity and equity?:
A brief description of the most recent assessment findings and how the results are used in shaping policy, programs, and initiatives:
The 2018 Campus Climate Survey highlighted factors for employees which were added to the University Strategic Plan Milestones that included work-life balance satisfaction and career advancement opportunities.
During the Strategic Planning process and ongoing initiatives such as Project 2022 (https://www.inclusive.vt.edu/Initiatives/inclusiveVT-project2022.html) offered development and implementation of goals and milestones for URM faculty and staff retention, and increasing URM faculty, staff, and student diversity, with a cultural competency component.
Priority 2: Elevate the Ut Prosim Difference:
1. Achieve 25% representation of underrepresented minority students in the entering class (freshmen and transfers) by 2022
2. Achieve 40% representation of underrepresented minority or underserved students (Pell-eligible, first generation, and veterans) in the entering class (freshmen and transfers) by 2022
3. Achieve 20% representation of underrepresented minority graduate and minority professional students by 2024
4. Increase underrepresented minority faculty to 15% (which is equal to or greater than the mean Research (R1) Public Land-Grant Universities) by 2024
5. Increase female faculty representation to 50% (which is equal to or greater than the mean Research (R1) Public Land-Grant Universities) by 2024
6. Increase underrepresented minority faculty new hires to 25% annually by 2022 Increase female faculty new hires to 50% annually by 2022
7. Ensure 100% of graduate programs of study include a required cultural competency component by 2022
8. Increase undergraduate students graduating with at least two Pathways courses that satisfy the Critical Analysis of Equity and Identity in the United States core concept to 25% by 2024
9. Increase undergraduate students graduating with at least two Pathways courses that satisfy the Intercultural and Global Awareness integrative concept to 25% by 2024
10. Increase representation of underrepresented minority staff and administrative and professional faculty to 25% by 2024
Priority 3: Be a Destination for Talent:
1. Increase the four-year graduation rates for all undergraduate (entering freshmen) students to 70%
2. Increase the three-year graduation rates for all undergraduate transfer students to 75%
3. Increase faculty and staff satisfaction with work-life balance to at least 75% as reported in the Employee Climate Survey by 2024
4. Increase faculty and staff satisfaction with career advancement opportunities to at least 75% as reported in Employee Climate Survey by 2024
5. Increase on-campus students living in Living Learning Programs to 67% by 2024
These milestones are tracked as a continuous strategic planning process and can be viewed on the University Data Commons dashboard (https://udc.aie.vt.edu/spm).
Student (graduate and undergraduate) survey results are reviewed by the university colleges and departments where results fall within their purview. Diversity action plans are developed within the University units and departments based on the survey results and align with both their unit’s overall strategic plan and the University Strategic Plan.
Are the results of the most recent structured diversity and equity assessment shared with the campus community?:
A brief description of how the assessment results are shared with the campus community:
They are shared by department or are listed on the HR website. Employee Climate Survey results are shared with each college and Senior Management Area, who share with their departments. Information is also distributed to campus through presentations and VT News articles. See below for links to survey results in the notes section.
Are the results (or a summary of the results) of the most recent structured diversity and equity assessment publicly posted?:
The diversity and equity assessment report or summary (upload):
Website URL where the diversity and equity assessment report or summary is publicly posted:
Website URL where information about the institution’s diversity and equity assessment efforts is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
•University Strategic Planning Milestone Dashboard: https://udc.aie.vt.edu/spm/
•COACHE Survey - Completed in 2020, awaiting results
•LGBTQ+ Survey - https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2019/04/unirel-lgtbq-climate-survey.html
•2018 Campus Climate Survey: https://www.hr.vt.edu/our-workplace/climate-survey.html
•2018 Gallup Poll Survey: https://www.provost.vt.edu/provost-updates/provosts-update-september2018.html ; https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2018/08/unirel-gallup-study.html
•2018 Student Climate Survey (Graduates and Undergraduates): The results are shared within the university for all colleges and departments in the University Data Commons Dashboard Survey Research, secure login required.
•VT Freshman and Senior Survey Results: https://aie.vt.edu/institutional-effectiveness/survey-and-results.html
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.