|Submission Date||March 1, 2019|
IN-14: Bicycle Friendly University
Sustainability Outreach Coordinator
Sustainability and Environmental Management Office
What is the institution’s current bicycle friendly award level? :
A brief description of the institution’s bicycle program, including the year the award was achieved and/or renewed:
Bronze level, certified in 2015
The League of American Bicyclists named Vanderbilt University and Medical Center a Bicycle Friendly University (BFU) at the bronze level in 2015. With this designation, Vanderbilt becomes one of 127 BFUs in 42 states and Washington, D.C., and the only BFU in Nashville. Among the programs and initiatives that contributed to Vanderbilt’s Bicycle Friendly University designation are:
• Vanderbilt’s websites that show the locations of all bike racks and showers on campus, as well as other bike resources;
• Vanderbilt’s recent installation of covered bike racks on campus;
• The creation of the Vanderbilt Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (V-BPAC) to address bike and pedestrian concerns at the university and Medical Center;
• Bike registration services offered by the Vanderbilt University Police Department;
• The student-run Vanderbikes bike-rental and maintenance program;
• Vanderbilt’s sponsorship of the Nashville B-cycle bike-sharing program;
• Vanderbilt’s collaboration with Metro Nashville government to encourage bike lanes that provide safe travel to and from campus;
• Vanderbilt’s long-standing sponsorship of the Tour de Nash, Nashville’s community bike ride; and
• Vanderbilt’s sponsorship of the Mayor’s Open Street event.
The Vanderbilt Walk Bike Coalition includes parties from across the campus to address issues facing bikers and pedestrians at Vanderbilt. They are focused on sustainability, health, and fun and tackle issues of safety and accessibility. The group acts to leverage resources and make connections for partnerships within Vanderbilt and in the Nashville Community.
Vanderbilt also has a bike rental program. VanderBIKES is a Vanderbilt student run organization offering bicycle rentals by the day, semester or year. The program gives the students the ease of bicycle transportation without having to worry about storage and maintenance and encourages students to explore Nashville beyond Vanderbilt’s borders. http://studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbikes/
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.