|Submission Date||March 3, 2022|
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
PA-2: Sustainability Planning
|3.00 / 4.00||
Cabinet Liaison-Inter Affairs
Does the institution have a published plan or plans that include measurable sustainability objectives that address sustainability in curriculum and/or research?:
A list or sample of the measurable sustainability objectives related to academics and the plan(s) in which they are published:
As of Fall 2014, all entering students will be required to have successfully completed a sustainability general education course.
We have set an overall benchmark goal of 85% of or each learning outcome. A student who receives an accomplished, or competent, mark for assessment 75% of the time is considered to meet that learning outcome. This means that our goal is for 85% of our students to meet the standard benchmark 75% or more of the time.
Sustainability is also represented in the University Learning Outcomes under #6: develop an understanding of and appreciation for environmental and cultural sustainability.
We will again be assessing Sustainability in the gen eds starting this spring (2021) and it will be a three-year assessment cycle. We will begin assessing the Institutional learning outcomes for the upper-level and graduate courses (starting with LO #1) this spring (on a three-year cycle) and the general eds will begin assessing the ILO in the fall.
Additionally, we have two graduate programs that specifically address sustainability in their curriculum. Of note are the MS in Environmental Science & Policy ( https://www.uwgb.edu/environmental-science-policy/learning-outcomes/ ) as well as the MS in Sustainable Management (https://www.uwgb.edu/sustainable-management/program/learning-objectives/ ).
Does the institution have a published plan or plans that include measurable sustainability objectives that address student, employee, or community engagement for sustainability?:
A list or sample of the measurable sustainability objectives related to engagement and the plan(s) in which they are published:
Does the institution have a published plan or plans that include measurable sustainability objectives that address sustainability in operations?:
A list or sample of the measurable sustainability objectives related to operations and the plan(s) in which they are published:
"Using a baseline year of FY2010, the UW - Green Bay has set a goal of reducing GHG emissions by 15 percent by 2030 and becoming climate neutral by 2050." (From Climate Action Plan, 2013)
On-Campus Stationary Sources: Heating/Cooling
Timeline: 2017 – 2025
• Behavior Change Programs
• Yearly updating of educational materials and conservation programs to refresh content
• Conservation & Efficiency
• Update HVAC and control systems on campus buildings during remodels
• Replacement to more thermally efficient windows where needed and on all remodels
• Replace chiller system with new technology to improve efficiency and performance
• Install energy efficient water preheat system for makeup water at heating plant
• Maintain rainwater catchment system for cooling tower
• Sub-meter buildings to track and manage water usage
• Continue to evaluate potential renewable energy technologies for application with existing facilities.
Install renewable energy generation system when technologically and fiscally possible
• When remodels/renovations occur in academic and student residence halls/apartment improve lighting efficiency and electrical systems with applicable new technologies
Commuting, Air Travel, Solid Waste, Wastewater, Paper Goal: 20% reduction by 2030
Work with local public authorities to incorporate bike lanes on public roads leading to campus when roads are resurfaced and/or reconstructed
• Continue to investigate and develop alternative transportation options to campus such as a shuttle service from outlying communities with high density student/staff/faculty populations
• When Campus Master Plan revision begins, encourage options that strengthen pedestrian and cycling access to campus
Does the institution have a published plan or plans that include measurable sustainability objectives that address diversity, equity, and inclusion; sustainable investment/finance; or wellbeing?:
A list or sample of the measurable sustainability objectives related to administration and the plan(s) in which they are published:
2020-2023 Strategic Goals for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion:
1. Increase and enhance the recruitment and retention of a diverse of employee population at UW-Green Bay.
2. Facilitate professional development on equity, diversity, and inclusion for staff and faculty.
3. Develop intentional programming, structured interactions with community partners, and curricular recommendations to support learning and growth around equity, diversity, and inclusion for current and future students.
4. Increase the enrollment of under-represented learners at UW-Green Bay.
5. Reduce equity gaps in retention of racially minoritized and low-income degree and non-degree seeking students through research-based, data driven initiatives.
6. Increase engagement with community members/groups in areas related to inclusivity and equity.
Does the institution have a published strategic plan or equivalent guiding document that includes sustainability at a high level? :
The institution’s highest guiding document (upload):
Website URL where the institution’s highest guiding document is publicly available:
Which of the following best describes the inclusion of sustainability in the highest guiding document?:
The institution's sustainability plan (upload):
Website URL where the institution's sustainability plan is publicly available:
Does the institution have a formal statement in support of sustainability endorsed by its governing body?:
The formal statement in support of sustainability:
Select Mission of the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
In addition to the system and core missions, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay has the following select mission (revised April 5, 2019): The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay is a multi-campus comprehensive university offering exemplary undergraduate, master’s and select doctoral programs and operating with a commitment to excellence in teaching, scholarship and research, and service to the community. The University provides a problem focused educational experience that promotes critical thinking and student success. The culture and vision of the University reflect a deep commitment to diversity, inclusion, social justice, civic engagement, and educational opportunity at all levels. Our core values embrace community-based partnerships, collaborative faculty scholarship and innovation. Our commitment to a university that promotes access, career success, cross-discipline collaboration, cultural enrichment, economic development, entrepreneurship, and environmental sustainability is demonstrated through a wide array of programs and certifications offered in four colleges: College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; College of Science, Engineering and Technology (including the Richard Resch School of Engineering); College of Health, Education and Social Welfare; and the Austin E. Cofrin School of Business, leading to a range of degrees, including AAS, BA, BAS, BBA, BM, BS, BSN, BSW, MS, MSW, MSN, and Ed.D.
The institution’s definition of sustainability:
Is the institution an endorser or signatory of the following? :
|Yes or No|
|The Earth Charter||No|
|The Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI)||No|
|ISCN-GULF Sustainable Campus Charter||No|
|Pan-Canadian Protocol for Sustainability||No|
|Second Nature’s Carbon Commitment (formerly known as the ACUPCC), Resilience Commitment, and/or integrated Climate Commitment||Yes|
|The Talloires Declaration (TD)||No|
|UN Global Compact||No|
|Other multi-dimensional sustainability commitments (please specify below)||No|
A brief description of the institution’s formal sustainability commitments, including the specific initiatives selected above:
Website URL where information about the institution’s sustainability planning efforts is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission: