|Submission Date||Feb. 1, 2018|
IN-24: Innovation A
|1.00 / 1.00||
Name or title of the innovative policy, practice, program, or outcome:
A brief description of the innovative policy, practice, program, or outcome that outlines how credit criteria are met and any positive measurable outcomes associated with the innovation:
In June 2016, four honey bee hives were installed by Executive Chef, Kristian Crossen and licensed apiarist (beekeeper) Rick Huismann.
BENEFITS TO GREAT HALL CATERING
• Honey will be used in recipes, served with tea and coffee, and bottled for sale
• Honeycomb will be incorporated into the local cheese plates
• Beeswax will be used to polish the wooden serving platters
BENEFITS TO COMMUNITY AND AGRICULTURE
• The majority of our fruits and vegetables and some of our animal food crops rely on honey bees for pollination. The following crops are dependent on honey bees for 90% of their pollination:
BENEFIT TO ENVIRONMENT
• Honey bees are pollinators of some native plants
• Local production will reduce emissions and waste production
• On campus hives will spark interest and increase awareness about our food systems and sustainable food practices.
Last year alone, this system produced 160 lbs of honey, which were used on site at Western
Which of the following impact areas does the innovation most closely relate to? (select up to three):
Food & Dining
A letter of affirmation from an individual with relevant expertise or a press release or publication featuring the innovation :
The website URL where information about the innovation is available :
Additional documentation to support the submission:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.