|Submission Date||Oct. 6, 2014|
PA-1: Sustainability Coordination
Does the institution have at least one sustainability committee, office, and/or officer that focuses on sustainability broadly and covers the entire institution?:
A brief description of the activities and substantive accomplishments of the committee(s), office(s), and/or officer(s) during the previous three years:
The Society of Graduate Students (SOGS) sustainability committee Mission Statement can be viewed on the following website: http://www.uwo.ca/sogs/Committee/sustainability.html
Additionally, the Environment and Sustainability Student Society, which is affiliated with Western's Centre for Environment and Sustainability, is an organization that raises sustainability awareness across campus. This group is comprised primarily of Masters students, but is not limited to this demographic. More information can be found at http://www.uwo.ca/enviro/Graduate/Graduate%20Program.html/ESSindex.html
Facilities Management also employs a full time sustainability staff member who is responsible for a wide variety of initiatives at Western. This individual is Stefanie De Adder (Sustainability Coordinator). Her research interests and specializations can be found at http://sustainability.uwo.ca/about_us/who_we_are.html
Does the institution have at least one sustainability committee?:
The charter or mission statement of the committee(s) or a brief description of each committee's purview and activities:
The President's Advisory Committee on Environment and Sustainability's (PACES) purpose is to provide direction on the creation of cohesive and comprehensive approaches to environmental sustainability at Western.
PACES aims to set ambitious but attainable goals related to campus sustainability and to improve awareness of sustainability initiatives and opportunities campus-wide.
In the interest of producing the smallest ecological footprint, PACES is guided by the following principles:
- Incorporating sustainability into our academic programming, to contribute to an educated citizenry and develop future leaders
- Engaging in research across the disciplines into issues of environmental sustainability
- Reducing our use of inputs
- Reducing outputs through recycling and reuse
- Focusing on life cycle management of resources and waste products
- Utilizing ecological landscaping methods and preserving green space
- Building and renovating facilities in accordance with energy efficiency and sustainability principles
Members of each committee, including affiliations and role (e.g. staff, student, or faculty):
The Working Group reports to Western's President.
- Janice Deakin, Provost and Vice-President (Academic), Co-chair
- Gitta Kulzcycki, Vice President (Resources and Operations), Co-chair
- Samantha Krishnapillai, Vice President (Internal), University Students' Council
- Dr. Tima Bansal, Professor, Ivey School of Business
- Dr. Irena Creed, Associate Professor, Biology and Earth Sciences
- Dr. Dan Shrubsole, Professor and Department Chair, Geography
- Dr. Andrew Hrymak, Dean and Professor, Chemical & Biochemical Engineering
- Susan Grindrod, Associate Vice President, Housing and Ancillary Services
- Helen Connell, Associate Vice-President, Communications & Public Affairs
- Elizabeth Krische, Director of Purchasing, Financial Services
- Carolyn Young, Director, Continuing Studies
- Stefanie De Adder, Sustainability Coordinator
- Jeff Grieve, Associate Director, Technical Support, ITS
- Kevin Vuong, Society of Graduate Students
The website URL where information about the sustainability committee(s) is available:
Does the institution have at least one sustainability office that includes more than 1 full-time equivalent (FTE) employee?:
A brief description of each sustainability office:
The Sustainability Team at Western is a group of staff dedicated to embedding sustainability into operations, outreach and academia at Western. They provide assistance and guidance to departments on campus in order to help them achieve their sustainability goals. In addition, they oversee the implementation of various initiatives on campus, ranging from the Green Office Program, to newsletters and informative lunch and learn sessions. Through their work with students, staff and faculty, the Sustainability Team develops and supports projects, policies and initiatives that reduce the consumption of resources and waste outputs, while also contributing towards the betterment of society.
At least one staff member is employed full time, with two student employees during the summer term
Full-time equivalent (FTE) of people employed in the sustainability office(s):
The website URL where information about the sustainability office(s) is available:
Does the institution have at least one sustainability officer?:
Name and title of each sustainability officer:
A brief description of each sustainability officer position:
Appointed to the role of Sustainability Coordinator in May 2012, Stefanie’s focuses involve waste minimization, sustainability education, and benchmarking and reporting. Through various initiatives and campaigns, Stefanie seeks to elevate Western’s status as a leader of sustainability within the education sector.
The website URL where information about the sustainability officer(s) is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.