|Submission Date||May 29, 2015|
University of Virginia
OP-15: Inclusive and Local Purchasing
Procurement And Supplier Diversity Services
Does the institution have an institution-wide stated intent to support disadvantaged businesses, social enterprises, and/or local community-based businesses?:
A copy of the policy, guidelines or directive governing inclusive and local purchasing:
The policy, guidelines or directive governing inclusive and local purchasing:
The Supplier Diversity Initiative exists as a resource for diverse vendors to the University of Virginia, as well as prime contractors and University faculty and staff.
Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services pursues the goal of increasing the amount of business done with Small, Woman-Owned, and Minority-Owned (SWaM) firms by providing information and undertaking new initiatives to reach out to the diverse vendor community:
1) Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services notifies eVA and the Virginia Department of Minority Business Enterprise (DMBE) of all new Requests for Proposal to help ensure that SWaM firms are aware of opportunities for doing business with the University.
2) The University's Guidelines for Competition list the policies University staff must follow when making a purchase.
3) SWaM firms are invited and encouraged to attend the bi-monthly Vendor Training sessions conducted by the Director of Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services.
4) Supplier Diversity works with the University's majority-owned prime contractors to encourage subcontracting opportunities, joint ventures, and partnerships for SWaM firms.
5) The Supplier Diversity Initiative maintains the University's relationships with small and diverse business advocacy organizations, including the Virginia Minority Supplier Development Council, the National Minority Supplier Development Council, the Women Presidents' Educational Organization (WBENC affiliate) the Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce, and the Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services also pursues the goal of increasing the amount of business done with SWaM firms by providing information to departments about the goods and services offered by SWaM vendors.
1) Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services works directly with University departments to provide information about SWaM firms.
2) This website includes a search of VDMBE-certified vendors that allows users to find SWaM vendors by the type of commodity they provide, and which gives Integrated System Supplier Numbers for those that are already registered in our system.
3) University departments can contact Supplier Diversity directly (see contact information below)for help in finding SWaM vendors.
Does the institution wish to pursue Part 2 of this credit (inclusive and local expenditures)?:
The percentage of total purchases from disadvantaged businesses, social enterprises and/or local community-based businesses:
The website URL where information about the institution’s inclusive and local purchasing policies and/or program is available:
http://www.procurement.virginia.edu/interim/SWAMPlan2013.pdf (Fiscal Year July 2012-June 2013)
http://www.procurement.virginia.edu/interim/SWAMPlan2014.pdf (Fiscal Year July 2013-June 2014)
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.