|Submission Date||March 4, 2021|
University of the Pacific
EN-2: Student Orientation
|1.12 / 2.00||
Director Orientation & Transition Programs
Are the following students provided an opportunity to participate in orientation activities and programming that prominently include sustainability?:
|Yes or No|
|Entering graduate students||No|
Percentage of all entering students that are provided an opportunity to participate in orientation activities and programming that prominently include sustainability:
A brief description of how sustainability is included prominently in new student orientation :
Yes, from the moment new students and their families arrive on the Stockton campus they begin learning about Pacific's commitment to sustainability at both a) New Student, Transfer, and Family Orientations and through b) Weekend of Wellness, a mandatory extension of Orientation for all freshmen students.
a) New Student, Transfer, and Family Orientations:
• At check-in every new student receives a reusable backpack filled with all of their important orientation materials and parents/families receive a reusable bag that includes a reusable water bottle.
• Clearstream waste diversion stations are set up at lunches staffed by Green Team volunteers who educate guests on how to sort their waste properly.
• A special sustainability information booth is featured during check in and our "InfoTracks" session, which is a fair for new students to learn about campus services and resources.
• Students have the opportunity to attend a special interest breakout session focused on campus sustainability and action.
• The Academic Catalog is completely online, no paper copies are distributed.
• Student leader materials have moved online to minimize printing.
b) Weeks of Welcome Program:
At the start of the school year, students participate in engaging programming to introduce them to campus, called Week of Welcome (WOW).
• During WOW, Sustaining Pacific hosts a School Supply Giveaway which gives new students an opportunity to pick up free school supplies and textbooks donated by other students during the previous years' Green Move Out program.
• Clearstreams and Green Team is present at all large WOW events with food to reinforce the importance of proper waste separation.
Website URL where information about sustainability in student orientation is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission: