|Overall Rating||Silver - expired|
|Submission Date||March 3, 2017|
University of the Pacific
EN-2: Student Orientation
|2.00 / 2.00||
Assistant Vice President
The percentage of entering students that are provided an opportunity to participate in orientation activities and programming that prominently include sustainability:
A brief description of how sustainability is included prominently in new student orientation:
Yes, from the moment new students and their families arrive on campus they begin learning about Pacific's commitment to sustainability at both a) New Student, Transfer, and Family Orientations and through b) Weekend of Wellness, a mandatory extension of Orientation for all freshmen students.
a) New Student, Transfer, and Family Orientations:
• At check-in every new student receives a reusable backpack filled with all of their important orientation materials and parents/families receive a reusable bag that includes a reusable water bottle.
• Plastic water bottles and cups are not used during Orientation, instead students and their families all receive a Pacific Tigers reusable water bottle and water dispensers are stationed across campus.
• Vice President for Student Life introduces Pacific's commitment to sustainability via institutional learning outcomes during the opening Welcome session at each New Student Orientation;
• Each new student and family member receive a "TigerTracks to Success" guide that helps them discover ways to be sustainable at Pacific and beyond;
• A special sustainability information booth is featured during check in and our "InfoTracks" session, which is a fair for new students to learn about campus services and resources;
• Student Placement Testing has moved from paper testing to all online placement testing;
• A special breakout session called “Helping Pacific Become Sustainable” will be held at Orientation for new students;
• Extra recycling bins are set up across campus;
• The Academic Catalog is completely online, no paper copies are distributed;
• The Office of New Student & Family Programs uses all recycled paper for printing.
b) Weekend of Wellness Program:
Weekend of Welcome or "WOW" is Part II of the Freshman Orientation Experience! WOW is a unique first year experience designed to help new students "track their path to college success", and further orient them to Pacific, our resources, and campus culture. WOW occurs the weekend prior to the start of the fall semester. During WOW all new freshmen participate in a weekend of fun, engaging and informative activities and sessions all designed to prepare them for success at University of the Pacific. New students will learn about services and programs encompassing all of Pacific's 8 dimensions of wellness and how to access these programs.
WOW is a collaboration of faculty, staff, and student leaders who partner together to provide first year students with a supportive and encouraging environment. During this weekend new students will meet fellow students, faculty and staff, and come to think of University of the Pacific and Stockton as their new home.
The website URL where information about sustainability in student orientation is available:
a) New Student, Transfer, and Family Orientation: http://www.pacific.edu/Campus-Life/Student-Services/Orientation.html
b) Weekend of Wellness: http://www.pacific.edu/Campus-Life/Student-Services/Orientation/Weekend-of-Welcome---WOW.html
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.