|Submission Date||Jan. 10, 2023|
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
AC-1: Academic Courses
|14.00 / 14.00||
Director of Sustainability
The Office For Sustainability
Figures required to calculate the percentage of courses offered by the institution that are sustainability course offerings:
|Total number of courses offered by the institution||6,283||1,117|
|Number of sustainability-focused courses offered||281||55|
|Number of sustainability-inclusive courses offered||2,780||499|
Percentage of courses that are sustainability course offerings:
Total number of academic departments that offer courses:
Number of academic departments with sustainability course offerings:
Percentage of academic departments with sustainability course offerings:
A copy of the institution’s inventory of its sustainability course offerings and descriptions:
Do the figures reported above cover one, two, or three academic years?:
A brief description of the methodology used to complete the course inventory :
1) A detailed course listing in the form of excel spreadsheets were obtained from the Registrar for Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Summer I and Summer II 2020.
2) The data in the spreadsheets combines and sorts by college. Repeat courses are listed, even when taught by the same instructor, since a different group of students are reached each time.
3) OFS staff reviewed each course on the UTRGV Course Information and Faculty Profiles website (https://webapps.utrgv.edu/aa/dm/) to find the syllabi. Some courses do not have syllabi uploaded.
4) The remaining syllabi were reviewed by Office for Sustainability staff who have been trained and are very familiar with sustainability terminology. Staff referred to the UN Goals website as well (http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/) to define sustainability terms and determine whether course content was sustainability related (SR), sustainability focused (SF), or neither; courses not containing sustainability content were eliminated from the list.
5) The remaining courses were sorted and counted.
we cross referenced our list with our partners in Academic Analytics reporting, prior to attaching the spreadsheet.
How were courses with multiple offerings or sections counted for the figures reported above?:
A brief description of how courses with multiple offerings or sections were counted:
Every section is counted, since these are offered to different students. Each section is also counted since these are offered sometimes by different faculty and in some cases by different departments.
Website URL where information about the sustainability course offerings is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
** For course catalogs, please visit link provided above and scroll towards the bottom.
Please note that we are one of the AASHE Centers for Sustainability Across the Curriculum, and began training faculty on the incorporation of sustainability in teaching, research, and service prior to the 2016 designation from AASHE. Thus we have trained over 400 since the inception of our faculty professional development in sustainability program.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to email@example.com.