|Submission Date||July 15, 2020|
University of Tasmania
PA-13: Assessing Employee Satisfaction
|1.00 / 1.00|
Has the institution conducted a survey or other evaluation that allows for anonymous feedback to measure employee satisfaction and engagement during the previous three years?:
Percentage of employees assessed, directly or by representative sample:
A brief description of the institution’s methodology for evaluating employee satisfaction and engagement:
In 2017, the University undertook 2 engagement surveys asking the same set of questions of an employee cohort. The first survey was undertaken in February and the latter was undertaken in June that year.
The methodology was not established by the University but an external provider and assessed in broad terms:
1. Commitment to the University
2. Aligning the University to the Rapidly Changing Higher Education Environment
3. Professional Growth and Career Impact
4. The Role of Senior Leaders in Driving Future Director
5. The Faculty, Institute or Division of the Respondent
6. The Future of the University
7. Changes to the University
To maintain confidentiality and privacy, the following policies and procedures were applied to the surveys:
• This survey was conducted by an independent third-party provider. All data is held at arm’s length from UTAS;
• The scores of individual staff members were not revealed to UTAS under any circumstances;
• All survey results were reported as averages or totals;
• Comments provided by individual staff members are reported in a free text format, not linked to the individual;
• No comments provided by individual staff members were reported to UTAS unless they indicate possible harm to self or others;
• Respondents were encouraged not to use identifying language in their written comments;
• No breakdown of results by any demographic attribute such as age, gender or level of employment is reported if it contains less than 15 people.
A brief description of the mechanism(s) by which the institution addresses issues raised by the evaluation:
The issues raised within the Engagement Surveys have been addressed with the establishment and implementation of the following:
• University of Tasmania Strategic Plan 2019-2024
• University of Tasmania People Strategy 2019-2024
Engagement Surveys will again be undertaken in 2020 (and ongoing) to measure the success of implementation.
Website URL where information about the employee satisfaction and engagement evaluation is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
850 staff were selected (cross-section of employees based on 5 criteria) which represented 30% of our fixed-term and ongoing staff at that time.