Overall Rating Gold
Overall Score 65.35
Liaison Peter Stiling
Submission Date Feb. 19, 2018
Executive Letter Download

STARS v2.1

University of South Florida
OP-6: Clean and Renewable Energy

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 1.30 / 4.00 Suchi Urs Daniels, RA, LEED AP BD + C,
Quality Assurance Program Manager/Project Manager
Facilities Planning
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Total energy consumption (all sources, excluding transportation fuels), performance year :
998256 MMBtu

Total clean and renewable electricity generated on site during the performance year and for which the institution retains or has retired the associated environmental attributes:
2201 MMBtu

A brief description of on-site renewable electricity generating devices :

The USF Solar Initiative was one of the first student led projects funded through the newly adopted Student Green Energy Fund (SGEF) at the University of South Florida (USF):

FALL 2016, Marshall Student Center (MSC) Solar Panel 634,995 kWh
SPRING 2016, Argos Student Food Service Courtyard Solar Umbrellas 6x54W=324 kWh
FALL 2015, ETS Phase II Solar Panel & Golf Cart Charging Station: 8,760 kWh
SPRING 2014, Chemistry Plaza Solar Charging Stations: 973 kWh
Total = 645052 kWh


Non-electric renewable energy generated on-site, performance year:
0 MMBtu

A brief description of on-site renewable non-electric energy devices:

n/a


Total clean and renewable electricity generated by off-site projects that the institution catalyzed and for which the institution retains or has retired the associated environmental attributes, performance year:
0 MMBtu

A brief description of off-site, institution-catalyzed, renewable electricity generating devices:

n/a


Total third-party certified RECs, GOs and/or similar renewable energy products (including renewable electricity purchased through a utility-provided certified green power option) purchased during the performance year:
322226 MMBtu

A brief description of the RECs, GOs and/or similar renewable energy products, including contract timeframes:

Renewable energy credits sourced from the United States by Renewable Choice Energy, Green-e Energy Certified. Renewable Choice is a Benefit Corporation.


The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
---

Electricity use, by source (percentage of total, 0-100):
Percentage of total electricity use (0-100)
Biomass 1.90
Coal 21.70
Geothermal 0
Hydro 0.10
Natural gas 62.80
Nuclear 12.70
Solar photovoltaic 0.10
Wind 0
Other (please specify and explain below) 0.70

A brief description of other sources of electricity not specified above:

USF's electricity is purchased from TECO (the local utility) Approximately 61% of Tampa Electric's generation of electricity for 2012 was coal-ftred, with natural gas representing
approximately 39% and oil representing less than l%. Tampa Electric used its generating units to meet approximately 94% of the total system load requirements, with the remaining 6% coming from purchased power. Tampa Electric's generating stations burn fuels as follows: Bayside Station burns natural gas: Big Bend Station, which has S02 scrubber capabilities and NO, reduction systems, burns a combination of high-sulfur coal and petroleum coke, No. 2 fuel oil and natural gas at CT4; Polk Power Station burns a blend of low-sulfur coal and petroleum coke (which is gasified and subject to sulfur and particulate matter removal prior to combustion), natural gas and oil; and Phillips Station. which burned residual fuel oil and was placed on long-term standby in September 2009.


Energy used for heating buildings, by source::
Percentage of total energy used to heat buildings (0-100)
Biomass 0
Coal 0
Electricity 0
Fuel oil 0
Geothermal 0
Natural gas 100
Other (please specify and explain below) 0

A brief description of other sources of building heating not specified above:
---

Percentage of total energy consumption from clean and renewable sources:
32.50

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.