|Submission Date||May 9, 2021|
University of Sharjah
EN-12: Continuing Education
|3.93 / 5.00|
Total number of continuing education courses offered:
Number of continuing education courses that are sustainability course offerings:
Percentage of continuing education courses that are sustainability course offerings:
A copy of the institution’s inventory of its continuing education sustainability course offerings and descriptions:
Institution’s inventory of its continuing education sustainability course offerings and descriptions:
No Course Name Hours Brief
1 Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Associate
(LEED GA) 10 Program Objectives:
The course introduces delegates to core green building concepts and the LEED Rating System.
• Understand the green building concepts, the LEED credentials and Rating Systems, documentation requirements and the appropriate application of LEED rating systems.
• Acquire in-depth understanding about knowledge of Green Building Design and Construction under the categories: Location and Transportation, Project Site factors, Water Efficiency, Energy and Atmosphere, Materials and Resources, Indoor Environmental Quality, Innovation and Design.
• Be familiar with the necessary exam preparation and the questions format presented in the LEED GA Exam.
2 Sustainable Environmental Planning
20 The sustainable environmental planning program, which is offered as a professional diploma in urban planning (20 hours), which aims to:
Familiarizing participants with the tools of urban planning in accordance with sustainable environmental planning and its impact on city building.
Providing participants with the necessary knowledge about sustainable development and sustainable environmental planning and their objectives, environmental quality, social equality and economic growth.
Providing participants with skills related to sustainable environmental planning practices that reduce human risks, reduce damage to the environment and preserve natural resources for the future.
Introduce participants to the foundations and techniques of sustainable environmental planning that will preserve heritage areas.
3 Sustainable Healthcare Facilities 15 Program Objectives:
The course introduces delegates to core Sustainable building concepts and the LEED & WELL Rating System.
• Understand the green building concepts, the LEED & WELL credentials and Rating System, documentation requirements and the appropriate application of LEED & WELL Rating System.
• Acquire in-depth understanding about knowledge of Green Building Design and Construction under the categories: Location and Transportation, Project Sites Factors, Water Efficiency, Energy and Atmosphere, Materials and Resources, Indoor Environmental Quality, Innovation and Design.
• Acquire in-depth understanding about knowledge of WELL Building Standard under the categories: Air, Water, Nourishment, Light, Fitness, Comfort, Mind, and Innovation.
4 Health and Wellbeing Buildings
(WELL Building Standard) 10 Program Objectives:
The WELL Building Standard® is a performance-based system for measuring, certifying, and monitoring features of the built environment that impact human health and wellbeing, a building certification available for new construction and existing operations around the world. The International WELL Building Institute (IWBI) gathered a team of doctors, scientists, and practitioners to develop and peer review the standard’s performance benchmarks.
The course introduces delegates to core WELL building concepts and the WELL Rating System.
• Understand the WELL building concepts, the WELL credentials and Rating Systems, documentation requirements and the appropriate application of WELL rating systems.
• Acquire in-depth understanding about knowledge of WELL Building Standard under the categories: air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort, mind, and innovation.
• Be familiar with the necessary exam preparation and the questions format presented in the WELL Exam.
5 Institutional Strategy for Sustainable development
25 Program Goals:
Defining the concept of sustainable development.
• Dimensions and components of sustainable development.
Introducing the global agenda for the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
• Introducing the national agenda of the United Arab Emirates and the sustainable development goals.
• Integrating sustainability elements into administrative and institutional activities and processes.
• Training on preparing sustainability reports in accordance with the principles of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI).
• Training on methodologies for preparing and implementing the sustainable development strategy for the institution and the authority.
* Within the Professional Diploma in Quality and Institutional Excellence 15 Program Goals:
• Knowledge of the concept of sustainability and its importance for institutions.
• Identify the enablers and factors to achieve sustainability.
• A statement of the mechanisms for determining sustainability standards.
• Defining the importance of risk management by identifying its sources and levels.
• Knowing the basics for building and implementing sustainability plans, and measuring their efficiency and effectiveness.
• Providing participants with standards and mechanisms for building institutional sustainability.
7 Radiation Safety & Protection 24 Program Objectives:
• The workshop is designed to provide trainees with a comprehensive count of topics related to radiation safety and protection needed to meet the requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations set by FANR on “Licenses for Radiography and Radiation Safety Requirements for Radiographic Operation”.
• Upon successful completion of this course the attendee will be able to:
• Understand Radiation and its inter-relationship with matter.
• Understand how to detect, quantify radiation and assess the hazards associated with radiation exposure.
• Understand Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation, Radiation Safety and protection procedures and safe practices.
• Understand radiation guidelines, limits and standards.
Do the figures reported above cover one, two, or three academic years?:
Does the institution have at least one sustainability-focused certificate program through its continuing education or extension department?:
A brief description of the certificate program(s):
1- LEED GA Course
2- World Disability Union Environmental Standards Course for People with Disabilities.
The course is organized by the World Disability Union" WDU" and is free for all UOS participants. An international license was provided for those who passed the exam.
The course objectives:
1- Train people on environmental standards for people with disabilities.
2- Learn how to use a checklist.
3- Training in building evaluation for the WDU certificate.
Website URL where information about the institution’s continuing education courses and programs in sustainability is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission: