|Submission Date||July 25, 2012|
University of Puget Sound
PAE-1: Sustainability Coordination
Associate Vice President of Business Services/Community Engagment
Does the institution have a sustainability committee?:
The charter or mission statement of the committee or a brief description of the committee's purview and activities :
Puget Sound has a Sustainability Advisory Committee that reports to the university president through the Vice President of Student Affairs and the Vice President for Finance and Administration. We also have a student sustainability coordinator position to support committee operations. The president empowered the committee to advise on and implement sustainability policies, projects, and programs on campus and collaboratively with our regional community. The committee addresses sustainability comprehensively and involves the entire institution. In 2010 the committee reorganized itself around STARS to facilitate ongoing comprehensive assessment and management of sustainability.
Members of the committee, including affiliations:
John Hickey-Assoc VP for Business Svcs/Community Engagement
Daniel Sherman - Associate Professor Environmental Studies
Robert Kief - Assoc VP for Facilities Services
Barbara Weist - Web Manager, Office of Communications
Marta Palmquist-Caddy - Director of Student Activities
Todd Badham - Director of Security Services
Nicole Mulhausen - Concert Hall Manager
Joel Elliott - Professor of Biology
Melissa Flood - Dining Hall Assistant Director for The Diner
Sarah Webb - Student
Travis Freidman - Sustainability Coordinator
Ellie Barber - Student
Ally Bujacich - Director of Capital Development
Ana Liuzzi - Student
Annaleise Conway - Student
Annie Bigalke - Student
Amy Moscowitz - Student
Associated Students of University of Puget Sound President - Student
Associated Students of University of Puget Sound Vice President - Student
Barry Goldstein - Professor of Environmental Studies
Ben Armstrong - Student
Bill Kupinse - Associate Professor of English
Brooke Jangard - Student
David Lewis - Assistant Professor of Economics
Doug Sackman - Professor of History
Elin Binck - Student
Garner Andrews - Student
Heather Clifford - Manager of Conference Services
Holly Kvalheim - Student
Jared Trecker - Student
Jasmine Herrick - Staff
Jay Becker - Facilities and Environmental Engineer
Joanna Kaufman - Student
Julie Moulton - Student
Justin Canny - Assistant Director for Outdoor Programs
Justin Roberts - Student
Karen Neal - Philosophy Department Administrative Assistant
Katharine Appleyard-Research/Prgm Coordinator Envirn Studies
Katy Jensen - Student
Kena Fox-Dobbs - Assistant Professor Geology
Kevin Carlton - Student
Kyle Egerdal - Student
Lisa Hutchinson - Staff
Maria Sampen - Associate Professor, School of Music
Nikki Polizzotto - Student
Polly Membrino - Student
Rachel Cardwell - Community Engagement Manager
Rachel DeMotts - Assistant Professor Politics & Government
Rachel Silbert - Student
Sarah Egger-Weiler - Student
Shirley Skeel - Media Relations Mgr, Ofc of Communications
Sierra Cocoziello - Student
Sierra Grunwald - Student
Stefanie Lund - Senior Accountant, Accounting & Budget Svcs
Sterling Ingle-Mead - Student
Steven Neshyba - Professor of Chemistry
Sue Dahlin - Assistant Director Career Advising
Taylor Beard - Student
Tom Landry - Manager of Event Set-up/Waste Disposal
Wesley Finger - Student
William Morris - Associate VP for Technology Services
The website URL where information about the sustainability committee is available:
Does the institution have a sustainability office?:
A brief description of the sustainability office:
Sustainability Services operates as Puget Sound’s sustainability office. It is located within the Facilities Services department and is managed by the university sustainability coordinator. Sustainability Services also employs 12 student staff.
The number of people employed in the sustainability office:
The website URL where information about the sustainability office is available:
Does the institution have a sustainability coordinator?:
Sustainability coordinator's name:
Sustainability coordinator's position title:
A brief description of the sustainability coordinator’s position:
Following are key sustainability coordinator responsibilities:
• Act as a resource for other university departments in the pursuit of sustainability initiatives.
• Work closely with the Sustainability Advisory Committee (SAC) to assess and support achievement of sustainability objectives.
• Coordinate effective interaction and communication between SAC and academic and administrative programs.
• Manage and/or support university sustainability and carbon footprint reports.
• Encourage and support establishing, carrying out, and evaluating sustainable initiatives on an annual basis, working directly with project managers, department heads, and administrative committees.
• Advise, meet with, and be a resource for individual students and student groups engaging in sustainability issues and projects.
• Integrate sustainability into all aspects of facilities operations and construction, working closely with students, faculty, and staff. Implement the department’s sustainability mission, mitigating the department’s environmental impact by managing both resource consumption and the production of waste.
• Manage 12 student sustainability staff who coordinate campus recycling programs and other sustainability work.
• Supervise recycling student interns, assistants, and other student volunteers.
The website URL where information about the sustainability coordinator is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.