|Submission Date||April 26, 2016|
University of North Carolina, Wilmington
AC-5: Immersive Experience
|2.00 / 2.00||
Does the institution offer at least one immersive, sustainability-focused educational study program that meets the criteria for this credit?:
A brief description of the sustainability-focused immersive program(s) offered by the institution:
Four classes from Recreation, Sport Leadership and Tourism Management Program, Department of Environmental Studies and Coastal and Ocean Policy Program come together on a 10 day kayaking and camping trip along the North Carolina coast. The itinerary also includes visiting several museums, memorials and educational speaches relation to the health of the coastal environment and how it affects tourism, recreation and the community.
Course objectives include:
1. Students will gain a knowledge and understanding of historical, geophysical, biological, ecological, developmental, environmental, economic and recreational
issues related to the North Carolina coastal zone/environment
2. Students will gain a knowledge and understanding of use conflicts inherent in the North Carolina coastal zone system/environment
3. Students will develop and apply skills necessary for safe and environmentally sensitive participation in and management of coastal recreation resources
4. Students will become trained in basic camping and kayaking
5. Students will learn and apply critical thinking and decision-making skills through issue discussion and analysis.
The website URL where information about the immersive program(s) is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.