|Submission Date||July 27, 2017|
University of New Hampshire
OP-15: Campus Fleet
|0.28 / 1.00||
Special Projects Director
Total number of vehicles (e.g. cars, carts, trucks, tractors, buses, electric assist cycles) in the institution’s fleet:
Number of vehicles in the institution's fleet that are:
|Number of Vehicles|
|Gasoline-electric, non-plug-in hybrid||5|
|Diesel-electric, non-plug-in hybrid||0|
|100 percent electric||0|
|Fueled with compressed natural gas (CNG)||29|
|Fueled with B20 or higher biofuel for more than 4 months of the year||45|
|Fueled with locally produced, low-level (e.g. B5) biofuel for more than 4 months of the year||0|
Do the figures reported above include leased vehicles?:
A brief description of the institution’s efforts to support alternative fuel and power technology in its motorized fleet:
UNH has operated CNG fleet vehicles since 2000. As of February 2017, it operated a fleet of 29 CNG vehicles including transit buses, bi-fuel pickup trucks and passenger cars. In FY 2016, CNG vehicles logged over 230,000 miles and used over 52,500 gas gallon equivalents of CNG (replacing primarily diesel/B20).
The use of CNG in the UNH fleet over the past 16 years has reduced an estimated 1,650 tons of CO2 emissions and 335,000 gallons of gas/diesel fuel with estimated net fleet fuel savings of over $443,000
With current market price of CNG, the fuel cost savings for this CNG fleet to UNH was approximately $65,000 in FY 2016.
UNH worked cooperatively with the New Hampshire DOT to coordinate the first ultra-low sulfur B20 fuel supply at any state operated fueling facility. In August 2006, the facility, located at the UNH campus, opened and UNH began a conversion of all of its diesel fleet to year-round B20 operation.
In FY 2007, most diesel transit vehicles switched to B20 and UNH took possession of its first dedicated B20 fueled, California Air Resource Board Certified (CARB) low emission buses. In succeeding years, UNH Transit embarked on balanced fleet procurement - half B20 and half CNG.
UNH continues a transition of all post-1990 diesel vehicles to B20. As of July 2012, UNH had migrated over 90% of its diesel fleet to year-round B20. This transition has equated to a petroleum diesel consumption reduction of just over 90,000 gallons and estimated emission savings of 2000 tons of CO2 with only minor incremental fuel cost increase.
CNG and B20 are the focus alternative fleet fuels at UNH. (see attached) The UNH Transit Fleet runs almost 40% on CNG fuel in terms of net miles. The remaining 60% is virtually all B20 biodiesel year round.
FY 2013 gge % Total Fleet gge
Total Fleet Fuel 263,878 100%
CNG 56,188 21%
B20 68,850 26%
UNH would be over 50% alternative fuel fleet vehicle miles.
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.