|Submission Date||March 4, 2022|
University of Louisville
EN-2: Student Orientation
|2.00 / 2.00||
Assistant to the Provost for Sustainability Initiatives
Office of the Provost
Are the following students provided an opportunity to participate in orientation activities and programming that prominently include sustainability?:
|Yes or No|
|Entering graduate students||Yes|
Percentage of all entering students that are provided an opportunity to participate in orientation activities and programming that prominently include sustainability:
A brief description of how sustainability is included prominently in new student orientation :
New student orientation is an extended, multi-phase process at UofL. Beginning in 2010, the Sustainability Council has worked closely each year with Admissions and the Office of First-Year Initiatives to integrate sustainability into the orientation process with the following elements:
Sustainability in Summer Orientation (two-day, mandatory sessions for all incoming first-year students, offered a dozen times throughout the summer):
• Beginning in 2018, the UofL Sustainability Council began hosting an informative 30-minute session as an integral part of the freshman orientation program. This session is offered adjacent to other topics in a "break-out" format and is repeated twice so that everyone has the opportunity to participate. The sessions are facilitated by a variety of students, staff, and faculty involved in the Sustainability Council, always with at least one individual from two of the groups and often more. Incoming freshman have been able to access this session to learn about the multiple resources, organizations, volunteer opportunities, and tips to live more sustainably that are available to them as students.
• In-person training is provided by UofL’s sustainability coordinator for all Student Orientation Staff (SOSers) on the principles of sustainability, UofL’s commitment to sustainability, and ways students can contribute and engage.
• Orientation staff receive a one-page hand-out covering 10 key points about UofL sustainability, and a list of campus groups involved, as well as details about our new alternative transportation programs.
• Water filling stations are made available instead of bottled water.
• Sustainability Council ads are printed in the Summer Orientation Guide magazine that all participants receive. Ads feature the Cards Go Green! pledge and the top five reasons you won't need to bring a car to campus.
• Campus sustainability clue(s) are included in the mandatory “Cardinal Challenge” text message scavenger hunt.
• Attention is given to adequate provision and placement of recycling and composting bins and waste stations are staffed at meal times to help orient new students to the single-stream recycling and composting systems on campus.
• Sustainability-related student groups, and the EcoReps Program recruit members at the Cards Expo during lunches.
Sustainability has been integrated into Welcome Week for many years now, with a variety of opportunities offered over the years, including:
• UofL Sustainability literature, brochures, and maps are made available for pick-up at the Welcome & Info Lounge
• Morning Walk: Discover Old Louisville - Highlighting local businesses and healthy local food options
• Louisville Sustainability Bike Tour
• Health Promotion’s Cardinal Quest Treasure Hunt features UofL Sustainability initiatives
• UofL's Sustainability Council hosts on-campus Student Outreach Uniting Louisville (SOUL) volunteer project sites focused on sustainable urban agriculture and grounds management.
• UofL Community Composting Volunteer Day
• Garden Commons Workday & Salsa-Making Workshop
Sustainability in New Graduate Student Orientation:
• The Sustainability Council includes a flyer in all new grad student packets and staffs a table during the resource fairs promoting EcoReps, transportation alternatives, and Cards Go Green Pledge.
Website URL where information about sustainability in student orientation is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission: