|Submission Date||Feb. 13, 2016|
University of Louisville
OP-7: Low Impact Dining
Assistant to the Provost for Sustainability Initiatives
Office of the Provost
Percentage of total dining services food purchases comprised of conventionally produced animal products:
A brief description of the methodology used to track/inventory expenditures on animal products:
Sodexo staff regularly track all purchases and regularly report local percentages to the Sustainability Council in an itemized manner that indicates the percentage of animal products.
Does the institution offer diverse, complete-protein vegan dining options at all meals in at least one dining facility on campus?:
Does the institution provide labels and/or signage that distinguishes between vegan, vegetarian (not vegan), and other items?:
Are the vegan options accessible to all members of the campus community?:
A brief description of the vegan dining program, including availability, sample menus, signage and any promotional activities (e.g. “Meatless Mondays”):
- The Ville Grill (UofL's anchor dining hall) provides numerous healthy vegan and vegetarian options, including the Wild Mushroom vegetarian & vegan station with a menu dedicated to serving protein-balanced and nutrient-dense meals at every meal; a salad bar; and the new Simple Servings allergen-free station which also serves as a great option for vegans, since processed foods are avoided and all are prepared with no milk, eggs, wheat, soy, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts or gluten.
- Seasons Salad Bar (Student Activities Center 1st level) is UofL’s newest healthy option, offering fresh produce, lean proteins and soup made from scratch daily.
- Healthy and Vegetarian options are available at nearly every other campus dining venue. For instance, look for the vegan icons (Green "VG") or vegetarian icons (Orange "V") on the menus at the Cardinal Burger Company (Student Activities Center 2nd level) or McAlister’s (Miller Information Tech Center).
- UofL Dining has published a handy Vegetarian Guide available online: http://sharepoint.louisville.edu/sites/provost/Sustainability/Shared%20Documents/Vegetarian%20Guide%20to%20UofL.pdf
- Sodexo partners with the UofL Office of Health Promotion on a Nutrition Navigators peer education program, which often focuses on plant-based diets and reducing carbon footprint through eating less meat.
- In spring 2016, UofL's employee wellness program, Get Healthy Now, launched a new "Meatless Mondays" campaign with weekly communications to all employees about healthy, delicious meat-free options and the reasons to reduce meat consumption.
A brief description of other efforts the institution has made to reduce the impact of its animal-derived food purchases:
The majority of our local-food purchases are local meats (from suppliers such as Marksbury Farms and Critchfield Meats) and local dairy products (from suppliers such as Dean's Milk and Prairie Farms).
The website URL where information about the vegan dining program is available:
Annual dining services expenditures on food:
Annual dining services expenditures on conventionally produced animal products:
Annual dining services expenditures on sustainably produced animal products:
Annual expenditures on animal products estimated based on percentage of animal products in Sodexo's local purchasing report for UofL Dining (July - November 2015).
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.