Overall Rating Reporter - expired
Overall Score
Liaison Cynthia Klein-Banai
Submission Date Jan. 31, 2011
Executive Letter Download

STARS v1.0

University of Illinois at Chicago
Tier2-1: Materials Exchange

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete Reporter Cynthia Klein-Banai
Associate Chancellor for Sustainability
Office of Sustainability
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Does the institution have a surplus department or formal office supplies exchange program that facilitates reuse of materials?:

A brief description of the program:

Currently, there is a system for departmental transfers of surplus equipment and furniture. Informally, departments may advertise via the faculty/staff listservs or other methods indicating which equipment or furniture is available for a transfer. UIC also has a warehouse for surplus where departments can submit a requisition to have the extra furniture and equipment removed and stored at the warehouse, which then becomes available to other units. Departments may visit the warehouse to see what furniture and equipment is available, submit the appropriate paperwork with the Office of Business and Financial Services (OBFS) and a delivery is scheduled to bring the furniture and equipment to the department.
Currently, the OBFS Property Accounting department is developing a web-based system to facilitate transfers between departments and requisitions from the surplus warehouse. In the interim, the Office of Sustainability will work with the surplus warehouse to increase the visibility of its inventory to the campus.

The website URL where information about the program is available:

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.