|Submission Date||Dec. 13, 2018|
University of Calgary
EN-8: Employee Orientation
|1.00 / 1.00||
Coordinator, Campus as a Learning Lab
Office of Sustainability
Percentage of new employees (faculty and staff) that are offered orientation and/or outreach and guidance materials that cover sustainability topics:
A brief description of how sustainability is included in new employee orientation (including how multiple dimensions of sustainability are addressed):
All new employees are required to attend a new employee orientation session delivered through Human Resources. The presentation delivered during the session has as section fully devoted to sustainability and includes the following information:
- Overview of institutional sustainability commitments and our STARS rating, including several key metrics;
- Overview of Institutional Sustainability Strategy and its three interdependent frameworks;
- Overview of "what is sustainability";
- Health and Wellness benefits, resources and programming; and
- Overview of the diverse pathways for staff to get involved in sustainability on campus (i.e. becoming a Sustainability Coordinator).
All employees are also encouraged to take the "Respect in the Workplace" workshop as part of their onboarding. The learning goals of the workshop are:
- To better understand our colleagues and what respect and disrespect means to them;
- To see how we can take personal responsibility for enhancing respect in our culture;
- To identify specific strategies that we can utilize to make our culture more respectful; and
- To chart a course and make commitments to a culture of respect.
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.