|Submission Date||Dec. 14, 2018|
University at Buffalo
EN-2: Student Orientation
|2.00 / 2.00||
Director, New Student Programs
University Life & Services
Are the following students provided an opportunity to participate in orientation activities and programming that prominently include sustainability? :
|Yes or No|
|Entering graduate students||Yes|
Percentage of all entering (i.e. new) students (including transfers and graduate students) that are provided an opportunity to participate in orientation activities and programming that prominently include sustainability (0-100):
A brief description of how sustainability is included prominently in new student orientation (including how multiple dimensions of sustainability are addressed):
Although environmental sustainability is not a stand-alone session at new student orientation, we choose instead to integrate sustainability into our experiential learning throughout the entire orientation process. Incoming UB students learn about UB’s commitment to environmental sustainability and their role in contributing to these efforts throughout the orientation including but not limited to:
* Print publications produced and distributed to new students prior to and at orientation have been minimized, taking advantage of electronic communication capabilities when possible.
* Disposable” giveaway items have been minimized and replaced with more sustainable products such as reusable drawstring tote bags, lanyards, portable phone chargers, umbrellas, ect.
* At meals served during orientation, students are encouraged to minimize waste, and recycling and composting efforts at UB are showcased.
* When travel between campuses is required at orientation, students utilize UB Stampede inter-campus buses, learning how to navigate the system, and the benefits of utilizing the transportation system.
* When leading campus tours, Orientation Leaders may point out recycling receptacles and often stop at water bottle re-fill stations.
* Involvement fairs during Orientation/Welcome Weekend include student organizations and/or campus entities that focus on environmental sustainability.
* Some orientation workshops include environmental sustainability as an integrated theme:
--Getting around UB (focusing on buses, shuttles, biking, Zipcar, etc.)
--Meal Plans & Campus Cash (focusing on reducing waste/composting as related to food services).
--Experience UB (about how to engage with UB beyond the classroom, includes sustainability as one area to explore).
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission: