|Submission Date||Dec. 23, 2016|
PA-4: Diversity and Equity Coordination
|1.44 / 2.00||
Does the institution have a diversity and equity committee, office, and/or officer tasked to advise on and implement policies, programs, and trainings related to diversity, equity, inclusion and human rights on campus?:
Does the committee, office and/or officer focus on students, employees, or both?:
A brief description of the diversity and equity committee, office and/or officer, including purview and activities:
For employees and students, there are a diversity and equity office (CPIMH, https://www2.ulaval.ca/services-ul/harcelement/accueil.html). The main responsibilities of the office regarding equity are:
- Implement employment equity programs;
- Coordinate the implementation of measures and mechanisms to control programs;
- Identify and remove barriers to employment for groups designated by the legislation;
- Improve access and obtain appropriate representation of designated groups for which there is under-representation.
Estimated proportion of students that has participated in cultural competence trainings and activities (All, Most, Some, or None):
Estimated proportion of staff (including administrators) that has participated in cultural competence trainings and activities (All, Most, Some, or None):
Estimated proportion of faculty that has participated in cultural competence trainings and activities (All, Most, Some, or None):
A brief description of the institution’s cultural competence trainings and activities for each of the groups identified above:
The Université Laval Academic Regulation requires that all students attending to an undergraduate program has to be initiated to intercultural and international issues in order to the diversified use of its knowledge (article 104c –1st paragraph).
The Office of the Vice-Rector of Human Resources offers intercultural communication training periodically throughout the school year. The Office of the Vice-Rector of Human Resources offers intercultural communication training periodically throughout the school year. For example, two training sessions on equality and diversity in the workplace were offered in winter 2015:
1) Accommodations at work. The course goal is for participants to be able to identify the circumstances when an employer is obliged to accommodate employees and the limits to such an obligation. Employers will also be able to respond to staff requests more fairly and confidently.
2) Intercultural communication. The goal of this training is to provide participants with the knowledge they need to better understand people from other cultures and act effectively and appropriately.
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission: