Overall Rating Reporter - expired
Overall Score
Liaison Maria Ayala
Submission Date Dec. 25, 2013
Executive Letter Download

STARS v1.2

Universidad San Francisco de Quito
OP-6: Food and Beverage Purchasing

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete Reporter Alexandra Basantes
Purchasing Manager
Food and Beverage CPU
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Percentage of food expenditures that meet one or more of the criteria for this credit (0 - 100):
90

A brief description of the sustainable food and beverage purchasing program:

Ecuador is a small Andean country with a total land area of 109,415 sq. miles (283 kms). The total distance from the upper northern limit to the furthest southern corner is a total of 479 miles (772 km). Quito is located 1/3 down the way, making it very strategic ground for purchasing. The following table (Table 1) puts distances into context; most of them are cities where most agricultural fields are located.

Table 1: Food miles/kms
Quito to: Kms Miles
Machachi 38.8 23
Ambato 132 82
Ibarra 123 76
Santo Domingo de los Colorados 150 93
Quininde 214 132
Guayaquil 421 261
Salcedo 104 64
Esmeraldas 309 192

Providers
The university purchases 90% from national providers (a good amount comes from produce open markets) the other 10% are imported products such as Chilean Salmon, cured meat from Spain, and mussels from Japan. Organics play only a 10% of the total check.

From this we estimate that 80% of food travels on average less than 250 miles, mean while products such as cocoa, coffee and bananas come from 400 miles from the south of Ecuador making that 5% further than 250 miles.

Calculations where based on data provided for purchases done from July 1st to December 31st of 2012. Based on interviews with the purchasing department, the assumption is that the University spends on average the same amount of money for each semester. The data provided, provided for 6 months was multiplied by 2 in order to calculate annual costs.


The Website URL where information about the institution's sustainable food and beverage purchasing efforts is available:
---

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to stars@aashe.org.