|Overall Rating||Silver - expired|
|Submission Date||Oct. 13, 2015|
EN-7: Employee Orientation
|0.80 / 1.00||
Office of Sustainability
The percentage of new employees that are offered orientation and/or outreach and guidance materials that cover sustainability topics:
A brief description of how sustainability is included in new employee orientation:
Tulane University new hire orientation consists of a half-day program where staff members are educated on several components of sustainability. Printed handouts are kept to a minimum; instead orientation participants are provided with a jump drive of all materials discussed during orientation.
• New hire staff orientation includes a welcome presentation that covers the following sustainability topics:
o Tulane Employee Value proposition which includes Employee engagement, Community, A Sense of Place and Tradition and Challenge and Growth.
o A slide specific to the steps the university is taking to reduce the environmental impact of our activities with links to campus and university wide efforts.
o All new hires are provided with information regarding alternative transportation options including campus shuttle services.
o New hires are provided with information on our employee assistance program, childcare services and access to our recreation center.
o An overview of the HCM and Kronos systems put in place to increase efficiency and compliance with federal regulations. These systems replaced more manual processes and as a result have helped us to reduce the amount of paper processes on campus.
• The Office of Institution Equity delivers a 10 minute presentation which provides new hires with the mission of their office, which is to be a part of the hiring process to review and ensure fair and equitable hiring processes. The office also provides an overview of resources available, as well as the universities policies on sexual harassment and anti-discrimination. This group also provides information on reporting grievances.
• The Office of Environmental Health and Safety delivers a presentation to new hires to expose them to required training, as well as resources that promote a safe environment.
• The Office of Emergency Preparedness shares detailed information with our new hires on steps the university is taking to keep our campus safe and what to do in the event of an emergency with emphasis on hurricane season.
• Our benefits team finishes the day where employees are educated on university benefits including wellness programs, medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, etc. and are specifically made aware of an incentive offered to encourage completion of an annual preventive exam and completion of an online health assessment.
The website URL where information about sustainability in new employee orientation is available:
All staff members are required to attend new hire orientation. Faculty are not required to attend new hire orientation at this time.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.