|Submission Date||Dec. 15, 2017|
The American College of Greece
AC-2: Learning Outcomes
|4.07 / 8.00||
Center of Excellence for Sustainability/Environmental Studies
Total number of graduates from degree programs (i.e. majors, minors, concentrations, certificates, and other academic designations):
Number of students that graduate from programs that have adopted at least one sustainability learning outcome:
Percentage of students who graduate from programs that have adopted at least one sustainability learning outcome:
Do the figures reported above cover one, two, or three academic years?:
Does the institution specify sustainability learning outcomes at the institution level (e.g. covering all students)?:
Does the institution specify sustainability learning outcomes at the division level (e.g. covering particular schools or colleges within the institution)?:
A list or brief description of the institution level or division level sustainability learning outcomes:
Institution Level LOs relating to sustainability:
-Explain different dimensions of sustainability and how it relates to one’s discipline
-Discuss ways of responsible civic engagement
-Discuss issues of identity and inclusion.
-Engage in activities that serve the needs of the local and global community.
-Discuss the impact of science and technology on the individual, society, and the physical environment
Does the institution specify sustainability learning outcomes at the program level (i.e. majors, minors, concentrations, degrees, diplomas, certificates, and other academic designations)?:
A list or brief description of the program level sustainability learning outcomes (or a list of sustainability-focused programs):
Environmental Studies Major LOs
Demonstrate knowledge of:
• The role of social sciences in analysing and addressing environmental problems and of the social, economic, political, health and ecological implications of human interactions with the environment.
• Human responses to environmental problems such as the development of environmental policy and law and environmental management.
• The concepts and dimensions of sustainability and sustainable development and of their applications in addressing environmental issues in an integrated manner.
• Tools, techniques and research methods used to study and address environmental issues at an advanced level.
• More specialized fields of environmental studies.
Environmental Studies students will also be able to demonstrate cognitive skills, namely reasoning, perception and intuition, by acquiring the ability to:
• Recognize the moral and ethical issues of investigations, appreciate the need for professional codes of conduct and undertake a reasoned moral assessment of actions/persons/business practices.
• Collect and analyse data and information on environmental issues using a range of techniques appropriate to the subject.
• Critically evaluate the reliability, validity and significance of data and information collected and the evidence provided to support conclusions.
• Categorize ideas, data and information, reformat and transform them towards a given purpose and design solutions.
• Identify key elements of environmental problems and apply appropriate knowledge and skills to their solution.
Do course level sustainability learning outcomes contribute to the figure reported above (i.e. in the absence of program, division, or institution level learning outcomes)?:
A list or brief description of the course level sustainability learning outcomes and the programs for which the courses are required:
ES Program Course: Successful completion of the program depends on taking classes dealing explicitly with sustainability.
ES 1000 LE ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE: ECOSYSTEMS AND BIODIVERSITY
-Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the concept of
sustainability, of its ecological, social, economic and political
dimensions, as well as of major environmental issues of
ES4327- Environmental Science: Environmental Management Systems
(Critically discuss the relation between enterprises and a sustainable society
ES 4223- Environmental Science: Water Resources Threats and Sustainable Management
demonstrate knowledge of legislation on water resources, of the concepts of sustainable water resources management and integrated water resources management and apply it to an analysis of selected case studies.”
ES 4126- Conservation of Wildlife and Mediterranean Ecosystems
critically evaluate strategies used at local and global level to address issues of biodiversity and conservation”.
acquire the ability to apply the concept of sustainability on the selection and design of solid waste management systems.
In addition to the ES program sustainability LOs are encountered in courses within the -Management Program : MG 4128- Corporate Social Responsibility
Examination of the economic, environmental and social dimensions necessary for sustainable business.
Pychology Program : BI1000 Evaluate biological principles and biological issues as they apply to students, their environment, society and health, and be able to demonstrate how to use their knowledge responsibly.
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.