|Submission Date||March 5, 2021|
Sterling College (VT)
IN-25: Innovation B
|1.00 / 1.00||
Name or title of the innovative policy, practice, program, or outcome:
A brief description of the innovative policy, practice, program, or outcome that outlines how credit criteria are met and any positive measurable outcomes associated with the innovation:
Sterling College was one of the first, if not the first, in the United States to declare a climate emergency, supported by the ten-year strategic initiative adopted in April 2019 to use education as a force to address critical ecological problems caused by unlimited growth and consumption that is destroying the planet as we have known it, such as:
- Fossil fuel dependence and rapid climate change.
- Destruction of biodiversity and loss of wild places.
- Promotion of harmful agricultural practices that threaten human and natural communities.
- Persistence of structural oppression that impacts human and ecological wellbeing.
- Deterioration of civil society through estrangement from community, nature, and place.
Our vision is informed and guided by five competencies gained through learning assessed by our faculty:
- Achieve a sophisticated understanding of, and personal engagement with, ecological systems.
- Understand societies and cultures as dynamic and complex systems of relationships and interdependencies.
- Use research and creative endeavor to explore concepts, experiences, and artifacts.
- Articulate ideas and share information clearly, using a diversity of approaches.
- Demonstrate effective, knowledgeable, skilled, and responsible leadership in community.
Which of the following impact areas does the innovation most closely relate to? (select up to three):
Air & Climate
A letter of affirmation from an individual with relevant expertise or a press release or publication featuring the innovation :
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
Strategic initiative that came from the climate emergency: https://sterlingcollege.edu/about-sterling/strategic-initiative/
Article written by Sterling President Matthew Derr: https://medium.com/@president_53961/greta-is-coming-ba33b2980bd8
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.