|Submission Date||Jan. 21, 2013|
State University of New York at Oneonta
PAE-6: Diversity and Equity Coordination
Affirmative Action Officer
Affirmative Action Office
Does the institution have a diversity and equity committee?:
The charter or mission statement of the committee or a brief description of the committee's purview and activities :
President’s Council on Diversity (PCOD):
1. PCOD will act as an advisory board to the President on issues regarding campus diversity and campus climate
2. PCOD will research, assess, and make a recommendation to the president about the critical functions performed by the Office of Equity and Inclusion and the continuing need for an office, or propose other options
3. PCOD will collaborate with appropriate administrative entity(ies) to collect qualitative and quantitative data (including campus climate surveys) and recommend responses
4. PCOD will review the diversity initiatives in key campus-wide strategic planning documents (e.g., Strategic Plan, Academic Master Plan, etc.), recommend appropriate changes to the relevant initiatives, and suggest strategies for effective implementation
5. PCOD will work with faculty, staff, departments, and senior administrators to incorporate principles of diversity and inclusion in hiring, retention, curriculum, teaching, and campus life
6. PCOD will assist in creating a welcoming and diverse campus culture and climate for all students
7. PCOD will promote transparency by communicating clearly regarding their work and the status of diversity and inclusion on campus and will facilitate campus-wide communication regarding diversity and inclusion.
Members of the committee, including job titles and affiliations :
Maria Montoya, Foreign Languages and Literatures
William Walker, Cooperstown Graduate Program
Pamela Flinton, Milne Library
Jared Gibson, Student Association representative
Mifuyu Otsuka, Multicultural Student Council representative
Andrew Stammel, Affirmative Action Officer
Lynda Bassette, Educational Opportunity Program Director
Bernadette Tiapo, Director of Office of Multicultural Student Affairs
James Gage, General Mechanic, HVAC, Classified Service representative
Marilyn Loomis, Telecommunication Secretary, Classified Service representative
Jian Cui, faculty, Presidential appointment
Benjamin Dalecki, Presidential appointment, Gender and Sexuality Alliance representative
Mark Cardinali, Presidential appointment, University Police
The website URL where information about the diversity and equity committee is available:
Does the institution have a diversity and equity office?:
A brief description of the diversity office:
Office of Equity and Inclusion: The Office provides institutional leadership to advance and affirm the College’s values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The number of people employed in the diversity office:
The website URL where information about the diversity and equity office is available:
Does the institution have a diversity and equity coordinator?:
Diversity coordinator’s name:
Diversity coordinator's position title:
A brief description of the diversity coordinator's position:
1. To oversee the implementation of College’s Strategic Action Plan on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
2. To partner with the Affirmative Action Advisory Committee to further affirmative action related opportunities and challenges at the College.
3. To partner with the President’s Council on Diversity (PCOD) to continue building a welcoming campus community.
4. To partner with the Tripartite Committee to address the State University of New York Discrimination and Harassment/Sexual Harassment Formal Complaint Procedures.
5. To provide training for employees and students aimed at learning and working in an environment that is free from harassment, including sexual harassment.
6. To communicate with the campus community on issues related to the Office and its charges.
7. To be a consultant and resource to the entire community regarding the values of equity and inclusion by engaging with senior management, and to work with division leaders in the implementation of the College’s Strategic Action Plan on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
8. To be a consultant to divisions and departments on strategies for the recruitment and retention of employees.
9. To be a consultant to academic departments on inclusive pedagogies and advancing the values of equity and inclusion.
10. The Office’s director serves as the Affirmative Action Officer for the College.
11. The Office’s director serves as the College representative to the larger community on areas related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The website URL where information about the diversity and equity coordinator is available:
The former Equity and Inclusion Officer recently left the position, but the College is looking to fill the position.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.