Overall Rating Platinum - expired
Overall Score 88.00
Liaison Sam Lubow
Submission Date Feb. 22, 2019
Executive Letter Download

STARS v2.1

Stanford University
IC-1: Institutional Boundary

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete N/A Moira Hafer
Sustainability Specialist
Office of Sustainability
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Institution type: Associate (i.e., short-cycle), Baccalaureate, Doctoral/Research, or Master's:

Institutional control (Public, Private for-profit, or Private non-profit):
Private non-profit

A brief description of the institution’s main campus and other aspects of the institutional boundary used to complete this report:

Stanford University is one of the world's leading research universities. Stanford is known for its entrepreneurial character, drawn from the legacy of its founders, Jane and Leland Stanford, and its relationship to Silicon Valley. Research and teaching emphasize interdisciplinary approaches to problem solving. Areas of excellence range from the humanities and social sciences to engineering and the physical sciences. Stanford is located in California's Bay Area, one of the most intellectually dynamic and culturally diverse areas of the nation. For more information, please visit: http://facts.stanford.edu/
Stanford President Marc Tessier-Lavigne has called for the university to "be inspired by the issues of our time" and "deploy Stanford's tremendous strength and vast intellectual property for the benefit of humanity." To that end, Stanford leadership announced two certain operational sustainability goals in spring 2018, along with other aspects of a new university vision that will help benefit humanity in countless other ways. The two certain operational sustainability goals are to become 80% carbon free by 2025 and Zero Waste by 2030, among other emerging sustainability initiatives for the campus, the region and the world. Other aspects of the university vision can be found here: https://ourvision.sites.stanford.edu/sites/g/files/sbiybj1261/f/stanford_vision_factsheet.pdf
Stanford owns 8,180 acres of land, 60% of which is undeveloped. The remaining 40% comprises Stanford's main campus, which includes approximately 15 million gross square feet of building space. This report covers the areas of Stanford's main campus for which Stanford retains operational control, including all academic buildings (housing Stanford's operational departments and seven schools), Athletics facilities, and Student Housing. Stanford's School of Medicine is included in the boundary, but Stanford Hospitals and Clinics is a separate entity and is not included in this report. Finally, Faculty/Staff Housing is a unique area of Stanford's main campus, where homes are located on Stanford's land but owned by individual residents who are Stanford faculty or staff. This area on the east side of campus is also not included in the STARS boundary since the owners have sole control of those residences (with the exception of the Water and Waste credits as these residents are served by those Stanford utilities). Similarly, spaces leased by Stanford outside of the main campus are not included in the STARS boundary, with the exception of the Greenhouse Gas Emissions credit, in order to report emissions consistently.

Which of the following features are present on campus and which are included within the institutional boundary?:
Present? Included?
Agricultural school No No
Medical school Yes Yes
Other professional school with labs and clinics (e.g. dental, nursing, pharmacy, public health, veterinary) No No
Satellite campus No No
Farm larger than 5 acres or 2 hectares Yes Yes
Agricultural experiment station larger than 5 acres or 2 hectares No No
Hospital Yes No

The rationale for excluding any features that are present from the institutional boundary:

Stanford Hospital & Clinic is a separate organization entity from Stanford University, so the university therefore does not retain operational control over the Hospital.

Additional documentation to support the submission :

Data source(s) and notes about the submission:

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to stars@aashe.org.