Overall Rating Gold
Overall Score 70.01
Liaison Rebecca Walker
Submission Date April 13, 2022

STARS v2.2

Southern Oregon University
OP-9: Landscape Management

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 1.76 / 2.00 Rebecca Walker
Sustainability Manager
Facilities, Management, Sustainability and Planning
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Total campus area:
180 Acres

Figures required to calculate the total area of managed grounds:
Area (double-counting is not allowed)
Area managed organically, without the use of inorganic fertilizers and chemical pesticides, fungicides and herbicides 136 Acres
Area managed in accordance with an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program that uses selected chemicals only when needed 44 Acres
Area managed using conventional, chemical-based landscape management practices 0 Acres
Total area of managed grounds 180 Acres

A brief description of any land excluded from the area of managed grounds:

None


Percentage of grounds managed organically:
75.56

A brief description of the organic landscape management program:

The Landscape Dept. favors mechanical and hand removal of weeds, utilizing OMRI-listed contact herbicides as a secondary weed control measure. We only use synthetic herbicides as a measure of last resort in select areas like parking lots, or when dealing with a particularly pernicious weed species.


Percentage of grounds managed in accordance with an IPM program:
24.44

A copy of the IPM plan or program:
A brief description of the IPM program:

We control 90% of weeds on campus through hand and mechanical labor. The remaining 10% is through the use of pesticides and herbicides of which 80% are organic compound herbicides.


A brief description of the institution's approach to plant stewardship:

SOU's Landscape Department specifies and installs regionally adapted trees and plants. The department works on developing the ability to produce the majority of plant materials in-house via various methods of propagation, including seeds from reputable sources, cuttings from plants on campus, and from local nurseries that stock plants well adapted to our local climate. Invasive species are bagged and disposed of in the landfill because the former compost site and many other areas on campus including the new Theater remodel project are infested with Bermudagrass. Plants are selected that are appropriate to the microclimate. Native and drought-tolerant plants that require no or minimal watering once established are used.


A brief description of the institution's approach to hydrology and water use:

Nearly all campus irrigation, approximately 99%, is irrigated with non-potable water. 75% of the water coming from the Talent Irrigation District and 25% coming from City Water. However, during the summer of 2020, 95% of SOU's water came from City water as we had to utilize our cross-connections when the Talent Irrigation Ditch was unavailable.

We also offset 100% of our Water Use through Water Restoration Certificates


A brief description of the institution's approach to landscape materials management and waste minimization:

We use mulching lawnmowers to recycle lawn nutrients and reduce the need for fertilizer inputs.


A brief description of the institution's approach to energy-efficient landscape design:
---

A brief description of other sustainable landscape management practices employed by the institution:

We're in the process of overseeding our existing 80+ acres of the lawn area with a drought-tolerant lawn mix that requires less frequent mowing. We do utilize OMRI-Listed organic fertilizers whenever possible, unless an acute nutrient deficiency exists, etc.
We are also transitioning some areas of lawn to more drought-tolerant plantings. Trees and prunings removed from campus are converted to woodchips and combined with collected fall leaves and lawn clippings to create compost, which we are in the process of developing into a product that can be utilized in soil amendments, topdressing lawns, and use by SOU Farm.


Website URL where information about the institution’s sustainable landscape management program is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
---

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to stars@aashe.org.