Overall Rating Bronze
Overall Score 30.46
Liaison Caitlin Jillson
Submission Date Oct. 11, 2019
Executive Letter Download

STARS v2.1

Southern New Hampshire University
OP-21: Hazardous Waste Management

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 1.00 / 1.00
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Does the institution have strategies in place to safely dispose of all hazardous, special (e.g. coal ash), universal, and non-regulated chemical waste and seek to minimize the presence of these materials on campus?:

A brief description of steps taken to reduce hazardous, special (e.g. coal ash), universal, and non-regulated chemical waste:

Waste minimization and toxicity reduction are written into the University's Waste Management Plan. The Facilities department uses the most types and quantity of chemicals. Therefore, when Facilities have to use chemical products, they are mindful of only purchasing the quantities needed to reduce future disposal as well as choosing the least toxic option. Chemicals used by campus departments are minimal; departments who purchase chemicals are advised to purchase the smallest quantity to satisfy needs and to substitute with less toxic chemicals when possible. Additionally, the University is converting to LED lighting which is a more energy-efficient option for lighting and a less toxic version compared to the current use of fluorescent lighting.

A brief description of how the institution safely disposes of hazardous, universal, and non-regulated chemical waste:

The University utilizes transporters and disposal/treatment facilities that comply with the applicable portions of the NHDES waste regulation, Env HW 400-800, which details the safe management during generation, transport, and disposal.

A brief description of any significant hazardous material release incidents during the previous three years, including volume, impact and response/remediation:

There have not been any hazardous material releases in the past 3 years.

A brief description of any inventory system employed by the institution to facilitate the reuse or redistribution of laboratory chemicals:

N/A: The University currently does not have an inventory system designed to facilitate the re-use or redistribution of laboratory chemicals. The University currently has only one chemical laboratory and one bio laboratory.

Does the institution have or participate in a program to responsibly recycle, reuse, and/or refurbish electronic waste generated by the institution?:

Does the institution have or participate in a program to responsibly recycle, reuse, and/or refurbish electronic waste generated by students?:

A brief description of the electronic waste recycling program(s), including information about how electronic waste generated by the institution and/or students is recycled:

Electronic waste is collected from the University community by Facilities for recycling, including CRTs (universal waste), CPUs, and any equipment containing a circuit board. Electronic waste is collected, stored, and prepared for shipment to an electronics recycler at the Facilities Operations Center. When there is enough e-waste to schedule a shipment (typically 2-3 pallets), a shipment is scheduled. Documentation of shipment (a BOL or manifest) is retained.

Is the institution’s electronic waste recycler certified under the e-Stewards and/or Responsible Recycling (R2) standards?:

Electronic waste recycled or otherwise diverted from the landfill or incinerator during the most recent year for which data is available during the previous three years:

The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.