|Overall Rating||Silver - expired|
|Submission Date||Nov. 23, 2016|
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
PA-4: Diversity and Equity Coordination
|2.00 / 2.00||
Does the institution have a diversity and equity committee, office, and/or officer tasked by the administration or governing body to advise on and implement policies, programs, and trainings related to diversity and equity on campus?:
Does the committee, office and/or officer focus on one or both of the following?:
|Yes or No|
|Student diversity and equity||Yes|
|Employee diversity and equity||Yes|
A brief description of the diversity and equity committee, office and/or officer, including purview and activities:
The Diversity Council is the primary advisory committee to the university’s chancellor on diversity planning, initiatives, and issues, including the coordination of programs and identification and sharing of best practices.
The Council is charged with the following ongoing responsibilities:
• Developing a comprehensive, university-wide plan that will:
o Define and articulate the importance and diversity and inclusion at SIU;
o Identify, in appropriate consultation with campus units, measurable goals for diversity and inclusion in key areas such as student, faculty and staff recruitment and retention;
o Include specific strategies for achieving those goals that align with best practice, federal and state legislation, and the university’s commitment to diversity as a core educational and institutional value and;
o Establish protocols for monitoring ongoing progress.
• Overseeing the implementation, updating, and monitoring of the approved plan, providing reports at least annually to the chancellor.
• Recommending programming and initiatives that support a welcoming environment for all students, faculty and staff.
• Providing counsel on issues and opportunities related to diversity and inclusion.
The full-time equivalent of people employed in the diversity and equity office:
The website URL where information about the diversity and equity committee, office and/or officer is available:
Does the institution make cultural competence trainings and activities available to all members of the following groups?:
|Yes or No|
A brief description of the cultural competence trainings and activities:
Office of Diversity and Equity
- Heritage and History Months: Events recognizing and celebrating heritage and history months such as Hispanic Heritage History Month, LGBTQ History Month, Native American History Month, Black History Month, Women’s History Month and Asian Heritage Month.
- Webinars are available for office, class or group meetings facilitated by a Staff Member. Webinars include titles :
1) Race: Though the Lens of White Privilege
2) Regional Nuances in Diversity Efforts
3) The Future Of Creating a Succession Plan
4) Reducing the Appearance of Reverse Discrimination and Double Standards
5) Spanish @ Work
6) Best Practices for Reintegrating Veterans
7) Diversity Recruiting for Leadership Talent
The website URL where information about the cultural competence trainings is available:
Southern Illinois University Carbondale requested that AASHE Staff correct a mistake in this reporting field for the reason specified below.Previous Value: http://smrc.siu.edu/index.html
Explanation: Website URL has changed.