Overall Rating Bronze
Overall Score 43.28
Liaison Adam Maurer
Submission Date Dec. 18, 2017
Executive Letter Download

STARS v2.1

South Seattle College
OP-21: Hazardous Waste Management

Status Score Responsible Party
Complete 1.00 / 1.00 Adam Maurer
District Sustainability Coordinator
Office of Sustainability
"---" indicates that no data was submitted for this field

Does the institution have strategies in place to safely dispose of all hazardous, special (e.g. coal ash), universal, and non-regulated chemical waste and seek to minimize the presence of these materials on campus?:

A brief description of steps taken to reduce hazardous, special (e.g. coal ash), universal, and non-regulated chemical waste:

South Seattle has a pollution prevention plan and the EHS manager conducts weekly inspections of all hazardous waste areas. South Seattle has reduced hazardous waste by implementing safer product alternatives, such as using fresh specimens for biology dissection (preserved by freezing instead of chemicals), reducing the amount of chemicals used for experiments, and also choosing lab experiments that use less hazardous chemicals, but still demonstrate the principle being taught.
Also, we switched from specimens preserved with chemicals to those preserved by freezing (then the lab techs thaw them right before class).

South also is credited as an EnviroStars member for many of it programs which deal with haz waste.

A brief description of how the institution safely disposes of hazardous, universal, and non-regulated chemical waste:

All regulated wastes are disposed of through licensed commercial vendors. Used lamps and batteries are recycled through Ecolights. Clean Harbors takes our hazardous waste under regulated manifest. Emerald takes our used cooking oil for recycling.

A brief description of any significant hazardous material release incidents during the previous three years, including volume, impact and response/remediation:


A brief description of any inventory system employed by the institution to facilitate the reuse or redistribution of laboratory chemicals:

When annual inventory reveals we will have an excess of chemical (usually due to lower that expected enrollment) that we will not be able to use before it expires, we contact our sister campuses at Central and North to offer it to them for free

Does the institution have or participate in a program to responsibly recycle, reuse, and/or refurbish electronic waste generated by the institution?:

Does the institution have or participate in a program to responsibly recycle, reuse, and/or refurbish electronic waste generated by students?:

A brief description of the electronic waste recycling program(s), including information about how electronic waste generated by the institution and/or students is recycled:

South Seattle recycles the empty toner cartridges back to the company for refilling. Large electronic waste items are sent to the District to be either be put through State Surplus program or all college/state owned computers are recycled by the IT Department through InterConnection, a 501(c)3 non-profit that refurbishes and ships computers and laptops worldwide. Additionally, small donation boxes are located on campus that also go to InterConnection for recycling and reuse.

Is the institution’s electronic waste recycler certified under the e-Stewards and/or Responsible Recycling (R2) standards?:

Electronic waste recycled or otherwise diverted from the landfill or incinerator during the most recent year for which data is available during the previous three years:

The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:

Additional documentation to support the submission:

The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.