|Overall Rating||Silver - expired|
|Submission Date||June 20, 2013|
Sewanee - The University of the South
ER-5: Sustainability Course Identification
|2.00 / 3.00||
Director of Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability
Office of Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability
Has the institution developed a definition of sustainability in the curriculum?:
A copy of the institution's definition of sustainability in the curriculum?:
concentrate on the concept of sustainability, including its social, economic, and environmental dimensions, or examine an issue or topic using sustainability as a lens or a driving principle. Sustainability is an underlying theme throughout the entirety of the course.
incorporate sustainability as a distinct course component or module or concentrate on a single
sustainability principle or issue. Sustainability ia an underlying theme throughout a portion of the course.
To help identify such courses, focused course should meet the majority of these objectives while themed courses should meet at least one. These courses are designed to help students:
● Understand and be able to effectively communicate the concept of sustainability.
● Develop and use an ethical perspective addressing the challenges and duties of living in an interconnected world.
● Develop awareness and explore the connections between diverse fields of study and sustainability.
● Develop technical skills or expertise necessary to implement sustainable solutions.
● Develop perspective on historical events, periods, or activities and how these have influenced our present realities
● Understand the way in which sustainable thinking and decision-making contributes to the process of creating solutions for current and emerging social, environmental, and economic crises.
● Contribute practical solutions to real-world sustainability challenges.
● Synthesize understanding of social, economic, and environmental systems in order to reason holistically.
Has the institution identified its sustainability-focused and sustainability-related course offerings?:
A brief description of the methodology the institution followed to complete the inventory:
Upon passing of the definitions for "sustainability-themed" and "sustainability-focused" courses by the Sustainability Steering Committee, course descriptions for every course on campus were then analyzed. Those that appeared to fall under the definition guidelines were then flagged. Upon being flagged, instructors for the specific courses were contacted to confirm that they believed their course to also meet the said definition and guidelines.
Does the institution make its sustainability course inventory publicly available online?:
The website URL where the sustainability course inventory is posted:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.