|Overall Rating||Silver - expired|
|Submission Date||May 28, 2019|
PA-4: Diversity and Equity Coordination
|1.33 / 2.00||
Does the institution have a diversity and equity committee, office, and/or officer tasked to advise on and implement policies, programs, and trainings related to diversity, equity, inclusion and human rights on campus?:
Does the committee, office and/or officer focus on students, employees, or both?:
A brief description of the diversity and equity committee, office and/or officer, including purview and activities:
Selkirk College's Indigenous Programs and Services:
Aboriginal Post-Secondary Education Support Services -
- Staff: Indigenous Services Liaison (full time), Indigenous Cultural Assistant (part time), Indigenous Access and Support Assistant (part time), Indigenous Counsellor (part time)
- Elders Program
Aboriginal Post-Secondary Education Policies and Strategies -
- Gathering Place facility
- Equity, Inclusivity and Diversity Policy
- Governance Process on the Indigenization of Education at Selkirk College Task Force
- Human Resources Practice Indigenization Work (on-going)
- Territorial Acknowledgment Statement Policy
- Indigenization Plan 2019-2024 (to launch spring 2019)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Funded Project - "Exploring Reconciliation Through Community College Education"
- New Strategic Plan to include Reconciliation section
- Indigenization Plan 2019 – 2024 currently being drafted
- Signatories on memoranda of understandings (MOU's) with regional Indigenous governments
- Signatory to the CICan Indigenous Education Protocol
- MOUs with IAHLA Institutes including En'owkin Centre and Nicola Valley Institute of Technology
- Continuing Education offerings of the Ktunaxa and Nsyilxcen languages taught by speakers from partner Nations
- Territorial Acknowledgment in both Board of Governors Policy and College Policy
- Teaching and Learning Institute has provided annual PD opportunities including symposiums, workshops and resources for faculty since 2013
- Specific Indigenous Student Bursaries are available through Financial Aid
- Aboriginal Student Emergency Bursary Funding
- Tuition bylaw amendments for Colville Confederated Tribes
Estimated proportion of students that has participated in cultural competence trainings and activities (All, Most, Some, or None):
Estimated proportion of staff (including administrators) that has participated in cultural competence trainings and activities (All, Most, Some, or None):
Estimated proportion of faculty that has participated in cultural competence trainings and activities (All, Most, Some, or None):
A brief description of the institution’s cultural competence trainings and activities for each of the groups identified above:
Indigenous Services has been running a Reconciliation Speaker Series, aiming to bring Indigenous wisdom to the forefront (http://selkirk.ca/indigenous/reconciliation-speaker-series).
Selkirk's Indigenous Cultural Assistant hosts weekly Cultural Expressions sessions which include Indigenous inspired crafts, story sharing, and a light lunch. Everyone is welcome (http://selkirk.ca/event/cultural-expressions-gathering-place).
The International Students at Selkirk College host an annual Intercultural Fair on campus. The event is an opportunity for the sharing and learning of the many different cultures represented at Selkirk College. The two-hour lunchtime event generally features food from around the world, colourful dance, demonstrations, and interactive games. The event is open to the entire campus community.
A Blanket Exercise was hosted at both the 2018 and 2019 staff professional development day, offering staff the opportunity to participate in this interactive history lesson shedding light on the colonization in Canada.
Selkirk's Healthy Campus program runs Safe Spaces training sessions for employees to develop skills in order to more effectively support LGBTQ+ inclusion on campus.
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission: