|Overall Rating||Bronze - expired|
|Submission Date||Feb. 4, 2014|
Seattle Central College
PAE-6: Diversity and Equity Coordination
|2.00 / 2.00||
Office of the Vice Chancellor
Does the institution have a diversity and equity committee?:
The charter or mission statement of the committee or a brief description of the committee's purview and activities :
No standing committee exists, but faculty are working with the Multicultural Office to create a social justice and equity focus within the AA degree.
Members of the committee, including job titles and affiliations :
The website URL where information about the diversity and equity committee is available:
Does the institution have a diversity and equity office?:
A brief description of the diversity office:
The Office of Multicultural Services promotes institutional responsiveness to the needs of students of color and students of diverse cultural backgrounds, and provides leadership for the development and implementation of services, programs, projects and curriculum that promote diversity, equity and social justice at Seattle Central Community College. The office collaborates with other college departments and divisions on retention and student success projects and activities, supports the teaching and learning of diversity in the classroom, presents professional development activities on multiculturalism and diversity and disseminates information on diversity resources for students, faculty, and staff. Multicultural Services also outreaches to and connects with off-campus constituencies in the surrounding region and throughout the state.
• College information & assistance for new, re-entry, and prospective students
• Referrals to resources both on and off-campus
• Workshops and conferences
• Scholarship information
• Community collaboration and partnerships
• Informal dialogue discussions regarding social justice or diversity
• Student Advocacy
• Coordination of "Students of Color Conference" attendees
The number of people employed in the diversity office:
The website URL where information about the diversity and equity office is available:
Does the institution have a diversity and equity coordinator?:
Diversity coordinator’s name:
Diversity coordinator's position title:
A brief description of the diversity coordinator's position:
Provides leadership for the development and implementation of services, programs and curriculum that promote diversity, equity and social justice at Seattle Central Community College. The Director works with instructional areas, student services and with the broader Seattle and Washington State communities as a multicultural/diversity resource.
The Director for Multicultural Services reports to the Vice President of Student Services.
1. Provide leadership for the implementation of services, projects, curriculum or any other initiatives that promotes multiculturalism, diversity, equity and social justice and enhances the retention of students of color and other underrepresented diverse populations.
2. Assess, make recommendations and provide support to the planning of Seattle Central’s multicultural and diversity efforts.
3. Coordinate and develop multicultural and diversity professional development and in-service training for faculty, staff and administrators.
4. Disseminate information, promote dialogue and inform the college community regarding current diversity trends and initiatives; grant, workshop and conference opportunities; and other relevant learning opportunities.
5. Work with faculty, staff and administrators to examine, develop and incorporate research that focuses on practices and outcomes with regard to Seattle Central’s multicultural/diversity efforts.
6. Serve as a focal point and represent Seattle Central to internal and external communities regarding the college’s multicultural/diversity initiatives.
7. Recommend and assist in the development of institutional policies and procedures
The website URL where information about the diversity and equity coordinator is available: