|Overall Rating||Bronze - expired|
|Submission Date||Aug. 11, 2014|
Saint Mary's College of California
PA-1: Sustainability Coordination
|1.00 / 1.00||
Vice Provost for Student Life
Does the institution have at least one sustainability committee, office, and/or officer that focuses on sustainability broadly and covers the entire institution?:
A brief description of the activities and substantive accomplishments of the committee(s), office(s), and/or officer(s) during the previous three years:
Since the current Campus Sustainability Committee (formed in 2012) and its predecessor Task Force on Sustainability (formed in 2007), a number of important foundational activities have been completed. These include an assessment of the campus' current sustainability activities, development of a Sustainability Action Plan, published in May 2011, and creation of a Sustainability Vision.
In conjunction with the Campus Facilities Planning Committee, the Sustainability Committee has advised on and reviewed GHG assessments completed by Sightlines for 2011 and 2013.
Starting in 2008 the Committee began study of the STARS registration system compiled necessary data to complete a registration. This work culminated in 2013 with the search for and selection of a third party Consultant to help guide the campus through its inaugural STARS registration.
Does the institution have at least one sustainability committee?:
The charter or mission statement of the committee(s) or a brief description of each committee's purview and activities:
The Sustainability Committee is a standing committee of the College and acts as a sustainability advisor to the President and Cabinet.
The Sustainability Committee provides information to the President and Cabinet to inform decision making consistent with the principles of sustainability.
The Committee's Mission follows:
- Function as the primary conduit of, and clearing house for, information regarding environmental stewardship and sustainability issues on campus.
- Develop, recommend and/or sponsor educational programs that promote environmental awareness and sustainability as both an institutional and individual responsibility.
- Review and monitor operations on campus that directly affect the College’s use of resources.
- Conduct initial and annual assessments of the College’s sustainability efforts and prepare a report for the President and Cabinet.
- Develop and recommend a sustainability vision statement for the College.
- Develop rolling multi-year action plans to promote greater awareness of sustainability, to increase campus sustainability over time, and to inform annual operating and capital budget processes.
Guidelines for the Committee
- Develop, based on its duties, a mission statement, a set of operating principles, and a subcommittee structure as necessary to facilitate its work
- Make recommendations regarding plans, policies and standards that reflect and honor the College’s mission and traditions.
- Make recommendations for the best use of the financial and physical resources of the campus that further both environmental responsibility and the strategic initiatives of the College.
- Make recommendations that preserve or enhance the College’s existing architectural aesthetic.
Members of each committee, including affiliations and role (e.g. staff, student, or faculty):
Each member of the Committee has a continuing, individual charge to serve as the steward of the campus community as a whole. Committee members for FY2012-2013 include:
-Cabinet Member appointed by the President - Jane Camarillo, Chair
- Associated Students of Saint Mary’s College President or Designee - Amaury Avalos
- Campus Facilities Planning Committee Chair or Designee – Joe Kehoe
- Chief Technology Officer or Designee – Frans Hoffman
- Christian Brother Representative appointed by the President - Br. Chris Donnelly
- Council of Deans Representative appointed by the Provost – Steve Woolpert
- Executive Director of Facilities Services or Designee – Joe Kehoe
- Faculty Representatives from each School appointed by the Dean of each School –
Aaron Sachs, SOLA,
Alice Baldridge, SOS,
Pamela Michael, KSOE
Gemma Niermann, KSOE
Andrew Wilson, SEBA
- Food Service Director or Designee – Matt Carroll
- Social Justice Coordinating Committee Chair or Designee - Judith White
- Staff Council Chair or Designee - Collin Pugh
- Vice Provost for Enrollment and Vice President for Communications or Designee – Bill Sullivan
- Vice Provost for Student Life or Designee – Jim Sciuto
Other Members of the Campus or External Communities at the Discretion of the President
-Anthony Oliveira, Associated Students
-Marie Pagliarini, SOLA
The website URL where information about the sustainability committee(s) is available:
Does the institution have at least one sustainability office that includes more than 1 full-time equivalent (FTE) employee?:
A brief description of each sustainability office:
Full-time equivalent (FTE) of people employed in the sustainability office(s):
The website URL where information about the sustainability office(s) is available:
Does the institution have at least one sustainability officer?:
Name and title of each sustainability officer:
A brief description of each sustainability officer position:
The website URL where information about the sustainability officer(s) is available:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.