|Submission Date||March 30, 2018|
Rochester Institute of Technology
IN-25: Innovation B
|1.00 / 1.00||
Senior Sustainability Advisor to the President
Office of the President
Name or title of the innovative policy, practice, program, or outcome:
A brief description of the innovative policy, practice, program, or outcome that outlines how credit criteria are met and any positive measurable outcomes associated with the innovation:
Imagine RIT: Innovation and Creativity Festival is a campus-wide event that showcases the innovative and creative spirit of RIT students, faculty and staff. RIT hosts over 30,000 visitors who experience the breadth and depth of RIT through interactive presentations, hands-on demonstrations, exhibitions, and research projects set up throughout campus. Multiple performance stages with live music and entertainment are also a hit with visitors of all ages. Held annually each spring, Imagine RIT is the kickoff to Rochester’s rich festival season. Many of the exhibits are sustainability related, in on the plan your day tab and app, you can select sustainability as the category of interest and it will map out all of the sustainability related exhibits across campus.
During 2018, 39 exhibits has a sustainability focus, and 53 had an environment focus. Some popular exhibits include:
• Using Black Soldier Fly Larvae for composting – and reducing RIT’s carbon footprint associated with food waste
• Showcasing a portable 3D printer that is powered using solar energy
• Showcasing student-designed electric vehicles (e-bikes, go-karts, and motorcycles!)
• OWA Haircare – a more sustainable powder shampoo that hydrates with water in the shower.
• RIT’s partnership with the city of Rochester on community revitalization projects.
• Composting, recycling, minimizing food waste, and learning how food materials can be used to produce valuable products for agriculture, buildings, and even printing.
… and many more!
Which of the following impact areas does the innovation most closely relate to? (select up to three):
A letter of affirmation from an individual with relevant expertise or a press release or publication featuring the innovation :
The website URL where information about the programs or initiatives is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission: