|Submission Date||March 4, 2016|
Pittsburg State University
OP-21: Support for Sustainable Transportation
Physical Plant Supervisor
The institution demonstrates its support for active (i.e. non-motorized) transportation on campus in one or more of the following ways:
Option A: Institution:
- Provides secure bicycle storage (not including office space), shower facilities, and lockers for bicycle commuters. The storage, shower facilities and lockers are co-located in at least one building/location that is accessible to all commuters.
- Provides short-term bicycle parking (e.g. racks) within 50 ft (15 m) of all occupied, non-residential buildings and makes long-term bicycle storage available within 330 ft (100 m) of all residence halls (if applicable).
- Has a “complete streets” or bicycle accommodation policy (or adheres to a local community policy) and/or has a continuous network of dedicated bicycle and pedestrian paths and lanes that connects all occupied buildings and at least one inter-modal transportation node (i.e. transit stop or station)
- Has a bicycle-sharing program or participates in a local bicycle-sharing program
Option B: Institution is certified as a Bicycle Friendly University (at any level) by the League of American Bicyclists (U.S.) or under a similar third party certification for non-motorized transportation.
Institution has implemented one or more of the following strategies to encourage more sustainable modes of transportation and reduce the impact of student and employee commuting. The institution:
- Offers free or reduced price transit passes and/or operates a free campus shuttle for commuters. The transit passes may be offered by the institution itself, through the larger university system of which the institution is a part, or through a regional program provided by a government agency.
- Offers a guaranteed return trip (GRT) program to regular users of alternative modes of transportation
- Participates in a car/vanpool or ride sharing program and/or offers reduced parking fees or preferential parking for car/vanpoolers
- Participates in a car sharing program, such as a commercial car-sharing program, one administered by the institution, or one administered by a regional organization
- Has one or more Level 2 or Level 3 electric vehicle recharging stations that are accessible to student and employee commuters
- Offers a telecommuting program for employees, either as a matter of policy or as standard practice
- Offers a condensed work week option for employees, either as a matter of policy or as standard practice
- Has incentives or programs to encourage employees to live close to campus
- Other strategies
This credit applies to all institutions.
Each part is scored independently.
Institutions earn the maximum of 0.5 points for meeting all four of the criteria listed in Option A or for meeting the criteria in Option B. Partial points are available for uncertified institutions based on number of criteria met in Option A. For example, an institution that meets 2 of the criteria would earn 0.25 points (half of the points available for Part 1).
Institutions earn 0.25 points for each initiative described above. Institutions with six or more of the initiatives listed earn the maximum of 1.5 points available for Part 2.
Report on current programs, practices and plans.
Sampling and Data Standards
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE
staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.