|Overall Rating||Silver - expired|
|Submission Date||July 19, 2011|
PAE-22: Community Service Participation
|0.82 / 6.00||
Dean Central Okanagan
The number of students engaged in community service:
Total number of students, which may exclude part-time, continuing education and/or non-credit students:
The website URL where information about the institution’s community service initiatives is available:
1) Approximately 100 students that help the College clean creeks in their communities. The Penticton and Kelowna campuses have formal days that involve community groups and the respective Parks departments of their city.
2) Dental Assistant Program on the Kelowna Campus has a free teeth cleaning clinic two times a year involving 24 students. Members of the public can make an appointment and receive free dental care.
3) 250 International and domestic students on the Kelowna and Vernon campuses worked on Hope for Japan. This campaign was a fund raiser to raise funds for Japan after the devastating earthquake and tsunami in March 2011. The campaign included seeking donations, bake sales, garage sales and holding other special events and dinners. The College students were recognized by Mayor Sharon Shepherd, Kelowna for their efforts.
4) There are approximately 50 student and staff volunteers from the College Science, Technology and Health department who help organize and run the local science fair events in Kelowna and Vernon.
5) SIFE- Students in Free Enterprise is an organization involving 96 students on all four of our campuses. Projects that they have been involved with include the food banks, and Instill Life.
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.