|Overall Rating||Silver - expired|
|Submission Date||July 19, 2011|
OP-18: Waste Diversion
|1.43 / 3.00||
Manager, Property Services
Campus Development & Facilities Management
Materials recycled, composted, reused, donated, re-sold, or otherwise diverted :
Materials disposed in a solid waste landfill or incinerator :
A brief description of programs, policies, infrastructure investments, outreach efforts, and/or other factors that contributed to the diversion rate:
The college continually strives toward a zero waste target, by increasing efforts to source separate and reduce, re-use and recycle at all its campuses. Examples include;
1. On site fluorescent tube crushing and mercury recapture. 2. Recycling of styrofoam
3. Donation of furniture to the Salvation Army and surplus equipment to local churches and other institutions.
4. Periodic “Garage Sales” to raise funds for Bursaries etc.
5. Minimising of packaging on goods received.
6. Installation of recyling dispensers
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution and complete the Data Inquiry Form.