|Overall Rating||Gold - expired|
|Submission Date||March 6, 2020|
Nova Scotia Community College
EN-8: Employee Orientation
|1.00 / 1.00||
Director Human Resources
Percentage of new employees that are offered orientation and/or outreach and guidance materials that cover sustainability topics:
A brief description of how sustainability is included in new employee orientation:
NSCC has a prescriptive New Employee Orientation program, for all new employees of the College. Orientation activities are organized into time periods including the new employee’s first day, first week, first month, and beyond. Activities during these periods are structured such that new employees learn about the culture and various institutional priorities.
Through the process of becoming familiar with the Strategic Plan, the various policies, and becoming acquainted with staff and faculty, a new employee quickly learns that sustainability is a strong driving value of NSCC.
The section below is an excerpt from the “NSCC New Employee Orientation Program Overview”, Human Resources. Orientation Objectives at the conclusion of the orientation program are:
- Be familiar with the College’s Mission, Vision, Values
- Be familiar with the Strategic Plan and any business plans related to your department
- Be familiar with the College’s Organizational Structure
- Be familiar with the College’s internal web sites such as: OurNSCC, MyNSCC, and any Team Sites required for your job
- Be familiar with College Policies
- Be familiar with the NSCC Occupational Health & Safety Act; know your rights and responsibilities
- Be familiar with your job description and have clear expectations of what is expected of you
- Be familiar with where your role fits within NSCC as a whole
- Have the tools, equipment and training needed for your job
- Know the physical layout of your campus/site
- Have an employee success plan
- Feel welcome, valued, and a productive member of the Team
Each new employee of the College receives a link (below) in their offer letter. Once there, they can watch a series of videos about NSCC and their employment. “This is NSCC” for instance, within the first 18 seconds, sets the tone that sustainability is a College commitment. On campus, their Manager follows the Orientation toolkit (attached PDF). A campus-based Employee Handbook that Employee Services Advisors give to each new employee outlines the College’s commitment to sustainability and includes each respective Campus’ commitment to Sustainability (specific to the campus where the employee will be working).
Lastly, “This is NSCC” is a one-day face-to-face orientation session that new-to-the-College employees are invited to. It is held twice/year in different geographical locations. It is co-facilitated by 1-2 members of Executive and is designed to immerse new employees in the mission, vision, values, strategies and commitments of the College – of which sustainability is a prominent value, commitment and strategy.
Website URL where information about sustainability in employee orientation is available:
Additional documentation to support the submission:
The information presented here is self-reported. While AASHE staff review portions of all STARS reports and institutions are welcome to seek additional forms of review, the data in STARS reports are not verified by AASHE. If you believe any of this information is erroneous or inconsistent with credit criteria, please review the process for inquiring about the information reported by an institution or simply email your inquiry to email@example.com.